Should I write for more than one site?
Writing for multiple sites
So you have decided you want to make a go at making money writing articles for the internet. There are many questions that you have, but if you are reading this article then you may be wondering whether you should write for just one site e.g. Hubpages.com, or multiple sites e.g. Hubpages.com + Squidoo.com + Ezinearticles.com. This is a good thing to ponder as there are advantages and disadvantages to both.
Let us first examine the advantages of writing for multiple sites.
- The first advantage is that you can link your articles from different sites to each other to form link wheels to bring in more traffic to your articles. Getting lots of quality back links to your articles will affect your articles’ Google Page rank. The higher the number of quality articles that you have the higher your Google Page rank will be.
- Another great advantage is that you will be writing across various different sites so will be able to reach a larger audience and build up your own brand. People will begin to recognise your writings and username from other sites and you will be able to gain a reputation as an expert in your particular field. Writing on multiple platforms will help to get your name out there and will increase your audience and you will be able to reach the farthest regions of the internet.
- Another advantage is that you will not be reliant on one site and will be able to take advantage of the different payment methods that each site has. Each article directory has slightly different ways in which you can earn money and some you will find are more effective than others. It is a good idea to have multiple streams of income when writing online because of these differences. Let us look at an example. When you write for Hubpages.com you get a 50% cut of any Google Adsense revenue earned through your Hubpage articles. The thing is that you have to wait until your Adsense earning reach a certain threshold before you receive a payment (in the UK the payout occurs when you reach £60) this means that you could be waiting for a while. Therefore whilst you are writing for Hubpages you could also write for Squidoo.com because they have a much lower threshold of $1 and it is paid directly into your PayPal account. So in essesnce whilst you are waiting for the big payout you are getting smaller regular payouts. Once you have enough high quality articles under your belt you will be getting regular Hubpage payouts, but it can take a long time to build your very own article empire.
- Yet another advantage would be that if a site you are writing for closes down you will only have lost a portion of your hard work. If you spend a solid year writing for one site and one site only and that site closes down you have lost a whole years worth of work and your only online income. If you write for more than one site then, whilst you have lost a great many hours of hard work, it means that you do not have to start again from scratch.
We have taken a look at the advantages to writing for multiple sites let us now look at the disadvantages.
- I guess the first big disadvantage is that you will be splitting your focus. You will be writing articles for various sites and it can be a pain to remember which site you are writing a particular piece for. This can lead to a feeling of disorganised chaos. Writing for several sites will need a great deal of organising.
- Time is another disadvantage. It will take more time to do a lot of the necessary things to make your writing popular. It will take longer to build up your reputation because instead of getting to know other members on one website, on one forum, you will have to do it for all of the sites that you write for. This is very time consuming and can be quite tedious and frustrating at times but the payout will be worth it.
- It may take longer to build up an income when writing for several sites in the beginning. When you start off you will be looking at building at least 50 articles for each website in order to make money. You will be learning as you go along so those 50 will be able to be tweaked to optimise their performance but this takes time.
- Another disadvantage is that you will have to learn all about multiple sites and what works for each and the way to build your pages. Hubpages.com and Squidoo.com are similar sites but the way the pages are created are very different and have a very different look about them. You have to know which of your articles will perform better on which sites and which ones are more likely to reach the first page of Google; this can be an arduous task.
I hope this article has been of some help. If you have any more questions or you would like further information please leave a comment in the comment box below and I will endeavour to answer your questions.
Writing online for profit
More by this Author
Marketing your self published ebook is the biggest part of selling your book, but many people do not realise this and forget to actually do it. Here you will find some great tips for promoting ebooks
Ever wondered where the downside to self publishing with Amazon kindle is? If you have then this is the place to find out what those disadvantages are.
Do you know what fashion accessories are? If not then you have come to the right article. This article will tell you exactly what fashion accessories are.