Fun with Math: The Geometry of Entertainment
The Plane Geometry Solution
A HubPages Question from Q & A: What's the difference between a 3-ring circus and the Rockettes?
- This question has an old one-liner solution that circulates around the Internet (and formerly on FAX machines, and still more formerly in brothels), but we shall not list it here.
There are at least three better answers to this gag question.→
The difference between the Rockettes and a three ring circus is the difference between a straight line and a line of eccentric circles.
Notice in The Figure Below the straight line, representing the Rockettes in their standard lineup, is presented along with three separate circles placed in a straight line to symbolize the three rings of the old time Big Top tent circuses. Many circuses today are much smaller and have only one performance ring, but larger companies still exist.
The Figure Below
A Three Ring Circus
Want to Know About a REAL Circus Woman?
- Confessions of a Cat Woman
This is the gripping and shocking story of a tiny woman that ran away with the circus in order to survive and instead became the only female tiger trainer living in her era. It was...
A Macabre Bradbury Circus
Definitions and Requirements
Word: three–ring circus (noun). Frst defined by this dictionary in 1909.
- A circus with simultaneous performances in three rings
- Something wild, confusing, engrossing, or entertaining
[Source: "three-ring circus." Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. 2009. Merriam-Webster Online.]
- Requirements to run away with the circus: Apparently limitless possibilities. In order to work for Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey, please send a query to Feld Entertainment ®, including a letter, your resume, and other materials, like a DVD of your talent. Address: Feld Entertainment, Attn: Human Resources Dept., 8607 Westwood Center Drive; Vienna, VA 22182
Word: Rockettes (noun, plural)
1. American dance troupe of the full name "Radio City Rockettes", formerly the Missouri Rockets or the Roxyettes.
The Rockettes as a dance team was formed in 1925 by Russell Markert of St. Louis, Missouri. He called them The Missouri Rockets. Locals liked them, so the owner took them on tour. NYC was particularly admiring of the dance troupe and Sam “Roxy” Rothafel bought the dance team organization for his well known Roxy Theater.
Sam doubled the size of the team and changed their name to The Roxyettes. After opening the Radio City Music Hall near Rockefeller Plaza, Sam enlarged the team again and renamed them The Rockettes in 1934.
[Source: Encyclopædia Britannica. 2009. Encyclopædia Britannica Online.]
- Requirements to dance with The Rockettes: female, at least 18 years old, between 5' 6" and 5' 10.5" tall, and proficient in all of tap, jazz, ballet, and modern dance genres.
Radio City Music Hall
>ANSWER TWO:The Bulwer-Lytton Solution
None, no difference at all; they are both as much fun as a three ring circus and they both have dancing girls; in fact, when the Rockettes break into three subgroups and dance in circles (as we saw once on late night TV), they approximate the three-ness of the actual three ring circus, more-so when they dance in three circles; which reminds me that the three eccentric circles of the line of three performance areas or arenas of the three-ring circus that are analogous to three points on a straight line, so while three acts perform on the inside of three circles (which are very much like large points on a giant line) - Elephants, lions and tigers, and the man shot from the cannon - they are in a way a straight line of three acts like the straight line of dancing Rockettes in a single act.
- See The Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest for additional short and concise answers.
>ANSWER THREE: The Britney Spears Answer - "Circus"
Trailer from 1954's Three Ring Circus with Martin and Lewis
Mickey Dolenz of the Monkees as a Youngster on Circus Boy
Additional Circus Lore
- Amphitheater of Fire- Cirque Du Soleil. History of the circus, history of Cirque, and video.
- Welcome to Ringling Bros. Circus! - Ringling Brothers & Barnum and Bailey Circus. The Greatest Show on Earth! Clown college takes applications year around.
- Circus Center San Francisco - Features the New Pickle Circus. Kids can learn about circus performing and the whole community enjoys the show.
- Circus Sarasota - Based in Florida.
- Big Apple Circus- New York City. Created in 1976, with extensive community service projects in 2009. Job listings available online.
- The UniverSoul Circus- encouraged by the fact that a black circus operated in America in 1893, the founders of UniverSoul Circus opened their shows in 1994, 101 years later.
- Cole Brothers Circus of the Stars - Based in DeLand, Florida.
- Circus World - Circus Museum in Wisconsin.
- The Moscow Circus - Top notch Russian Circus.
- Russian American Kids Circus - Based in NYC, performs worldwide.
- Cubism: A Geometry of France
An article in an issue of Time Magazine from 1956 sums up some very important facts in determining who might bee the Father of Cubism.
- What Is a Triangular Number?
Triangular Numbers do not need to cause confusion! Come in and see some of them.
- Daffodils and Stars in Fractal Iterations
What a desolate place would be a world without a flower! It would be a face without a smile, a feast without a welcome. Are not flowers the stars of the earth, and are not our stars the flowers of heaven?
More by this Author
My favorite type of joke is the Story Joke and this article presents a prime example from the past from a comedy master.
These are films filled with clean humor and situations that will entertain kids and adults. Story lines are good and characters memorable. Happy viewing!
After much hard work in writing countless resumes, cover letters, and job applications, employment candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. We can help with the information in...