The importance of a writers feedback
I not only enjoy writing, but I have also been seriously pursuing my art. By both painting and marketing my art for over 15 years I have come to the conclusion that feedback is truly important if a profession is going to be the best that it can possibly be.
The sale of my art was not the only thing that gave me feedback, but careful attention was given to what paintings potential customers continued to gravitate to whether they purchased it or not. this was important feedback that was useful for my business. As a writer, receiving feedback is important to find out if your reader has understood what you were trying to convey.
Many times I have had to take another look at my writing because some of the feedback I was receiving was entirely different from what I was trying to say. This information was useful because the continuity of the writing should be consistent with the title. First of all as a writer you must know where you stand as it relates to receiving feedback because not everyone is comfortable with being told something is not right or could be done better.
In that case it would be good not to add comment hubs or remove other ways used for readers to comment. Having said that there is a difference between criticism and constructive criticism. Sorry to say but everyone is not out to help.
What type of feedback is constructive?
- One of the areas that a writer should seek feedback for is can the focus of the writing be understood and if so ask what the focus is. The writer knows what they are trying to say but the reader must also know if the writing is to be a success. Again the writer must use someone who will be honest and not someone who will just say what the writer expects.
- Second ask if the writing was interesting or not and why or why not. If an article online is not interesting the feedback is obviously no one visits. Don't be discouraged or give up, simply rewrite the article or choose a different topic all together. Find out through Google trends and other tools what is hot and what is not and go for it!
- Ask what the reader liked most : Like the example of my art work at the beginning of this hub, when I found out what art piece the potential buyer went towards and observed, I made it a point to create more of the same type of drawings and paintings. The same principle applies to writing, when readers compliment and continually visit a certain hub, they are saying I want more of the same. Create more with a different angle etc.
- Is your audience the main priority? I truly believe that constructive feedback is the appreciation received back for helping others. Selfishness is writing or doing anything else for that matter with the intent of cashing in only. Yes I want to earn from my writing but I truly want to write with helping my audience at the same time. I must also add that I have given away a lot of my artwork through donations, auctions and gifts, why? because I believe it is more blessed to give than receive.
- Is the ending satisfying? Have you ever watched a great movie with an ending that disappointed you? as great as the beginning of the movie was, it was forgotten and as great as the middle of the movie was, it was forgotten and all that is talked about is the disappointing ending. The same principle applies to writing. An article should end with a bang or the whole article may be judged by the disappointing ending. Ask your audience and receive feedback concerning the ending of your writings.
- Principles become established out of the mouths of two or three people so get feedback from more than one person. If more people agree about a certain problem than not, then go with the majority because what they are seeing may be true.
- Don't assume your readers are right: Feedback is great but a writer must be secure enough to know and believe in themselves. People are not always correct and they may see things differently than the writer. As long as the writing principles themselves are not violated, the writer must believe in themselves regardless to who does not believe in them and their ideas.
- The abc's of a well written article
1. Content - The first thing that a writer must consider is the content of the article that is about to be undertaken. People are looking for valuable information that they can actually take action on after...
More recommended reading
- The average writers 5 helpful tips
The Internet is filled with information from anything and everything one can imagine. People from all walks of life log on for many different reasons, for example some people may just love to read while...
- How to know if your article submission sites are reputable
You have just researched your topic and edited your material and now you are ready to submit that one out of the last ten articles that you feel will make a great impact with your audience. The only problem...
More by this Author
Imagine retaining water and finding out your dehydrated; This is just one of five unusual symptoms of dehydration.
Real love is not selfish but it is always giving: - By giving I do not mean only tangible resources, but the giving of oneself which includes time and attention. Time is more valuable than tangible things because you...
One of the Hebrew meanings for midnight is chatsoth which means middle of the night and during this special time God brought many fantastic things to pass. He is willing to do the same thing today...