Things Legal and Illegal in The City Library
remember that distinctive sound? It meant one thing: Quiet. No talking. No whispering. And certainly no doing your own thing. The librarian, God bless her, was more in the lines of a prison warden. She was tough, stern, and if needed, nice to students and visitors who deserved it.
I am not kidding. If you were a punk looking for problems, just step inside a librarian's world and try pulling some foolish, asinine pranks and before you could say "To Kill a Mockingbird," this thin, wrinkled-faced lady with thin wire-framed glasses was escorting you to the door.
In my days of junior high through senior high school, I really didn't like going to the library unless I was really interested in a certain subject. Then I loved taking this scholastic trek. I was always respectful to our librarians because they were old, short-tempered, and meant business.
It was not
because librarians of long ago were really that mean and short-tempered. It was because rules and observing a moral compass was really important in the late 1940s throughout the 1950s. Librarians, mostly women, knew how to run the library and take care of those rule breakers who insisted on visiting the library and doing whatever came to mind.
That's why I have researched the library, still one of our iconic establishments, and found out some old and sometimes-ignored rules that I thought you might like to read. I loved them. And admittedly, I would like to see things as solid as they were when these library rules were intact.
Things That Are Illegal to do in The Library
- Chewing tobacco--anywhere
- Sleeping under on library tables
- Talking in tones that are disturbing to others in the library
- Shuffling of feet on the floor to make noise
- Throwing wads of paper or any objects that cause a distraction
- Sneaking any form of alcohol or narcotics into the library
- No pets allowed in library
- No talking to anyone through the library windows
Proper Wardrobe While Visiting The Library
- Girls' dresses must reach the ankle and never come to above their knees
- Boys' pants must remain zipped throughout their visit to the library
- Boys' shirt tails must be tucked in
- Girls' blouses must not be open through the second button
- Girls' dresses must not be see-through or they will be asked to leave
- Flip-flops for both boys and girls are forbidden
- Cut-off shorts are forbidden for both boys and girls
- Loud perfume or cologne is strictly forbidden
- Cigarettes in boys' shirt pockets are grounds for expulsion
- There will be absolutely no usage of bubble gum or regular gum
Things That Are Permitted Inside The Library
- Quietly chatting with the librarian about finding certain books
- Sitting quietly and studying or reading the book(s) of your choosing
- Using our "Study Room" is permissible, but not to be used for eating, smoking or socializing
- Asking the librarian's permission to watch films of your research topic
- Writing papers ONLY with No. 2 pencils is allowed. No ink pens are permitted
- Searching index cards for your book choice is permitted with librarian's permission
If These Rules are Broken, You Will Not be Allowed to Come Back to Our Library
- Arguing with others in a boisterous voice
- Yelling at others, the librarian, or any teacher
- Throwing books at others or onto the floor
- Not cooperating with librarian or teachers for any reason
- Hiding in the aisles of books to perform horseplay against others
- Pulling dangerous pranks such as putting matches in their shoes are grounds for expulsion
- Destruction of library property in any form
. . .and above all
This video proves my point
More by this Author
A poem of simplicity about The Maker.
Riding with Dr. Thompson was not boring, but now it's over.
Fake, real, or just another television show?