Truth Quotes: “Everyone is Entitled to Their Own Opinion, but Not Their Own Facts”
Give Truth Some Thought
❖ Playing games with truth is the worst kind of Russian-roulette, yet the topic of truth is rarely even discussed, and worse, it is not practiced as it should be. There's nothing new there, but giving it some thought helps us determine to raise and keep our personal standard high.
The Truth about Opinion!
Quotes Regarding Truth
To realize that someone we once trusted has become untrustworthy is a crushing blow that is difficult to get past, but the most important thing to remember is that any of us are capable of telling a lie under the right circumstances.
A hub on the importance of maintaining the integrity that truthfulness gives us for our own peace of mind and for all of our relationships would be a good idea. This one, though, is designed to help us think about some useful quotes on truth so we can focus on how honesty and dishonesty shape our own thinking and our living.
While you take a look at these truth quotes, keep in mind the truth behind this quote paraphrased from the concepts in the book of Jonah, "Those who practice deceit forsake the mercy that could be theirs." A sobering thought that should capture our attention.
We want to make sure that our responses to truth are not bound up in an old quote that says something along the lines of how too often, the first reaction to truth is hatred. Our responses to truth tell us (and others) who and what we really are about.
There are those who say they hate liars, but one writer notes that we should try telling those people nothing but the pure truth. That would be interesting--the pure truth about our own opinion, the pure truth about the many ways they are perceived by others, the pure truth about everything.
It would be very interesting to give them a real chance to find out if they mean what they say when others tell them the truth about their new hair color, new piercing or tattoo, their awkward shoes, their food choices, or their constant chattering.
Timeless Truth Quotes
❖ One of my favorite sayings, “Truth invites scrutiny, error demands tolerance,” has inspired me to post truth quotes here at HubPages. Do we give the quote lip service or do we embrace it and use it to help us examine all facets of the facts?
❖ Here is definitive instruction from God's Word for Believers, "Speak the truth in love." While there is no mercy without judgment, without that insight our efforts are an affront because mercy triumps over judgment, James 2.
❖ This is one that should be heralded on Valentine’s Day, "True love would rather receive hate for telling the truth than adoration for telling lies," P. Aretino.
❖ One of the most humorous quotes I've seen poignantly reads, "How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four; calling a tail a leg doesn’t make Iit Aa leg." (This is from a politician, no less!)
❖ “A little truth makes deception acceptable” is insight worth examining on at least several levels.
Truth walks about freely, unhindered by the need to keep account of its different versions. Not everyone knows it for what it is, but that does not change it. Truth simply continues, and everything else eventually loses its lustre.
Truth is Limitless
Read more Quotes on the Topic of Truth
Also, please feel free to leave your truth quotes for others to read in the comments section below. I’ll try to edit the hub and add them from your comments even as I add my own new ones.
Do you think it is important to have conversations about the definitions of truth and honesty?See results without voting
• Truth is such a rare thing it is delighted to tell it. (E. Dickenson)
• It is twice as hard to crush a half-truth as a whole lie. (A. O'Malley)
• Truth is like a lion, you don't have to defend it. Set it loose and it will defend itself. (St. Augustine)
• Truth stand the test of experience. (A. Einstein)
• Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority. ( G. Bruno)
• There is a case for telling the truth; there is a case for avoiding the scandal; but there is no defense for the man who tells the scandal, yet does not tell the truth. (G. K. Chesterton)
• Truth is beautiful, without doubt; but without doubt, so are lies. (R. W. Emmerson)
• In times of universal deceit telling the truth will be a revolutionary act. (G. Orwell)
• Lying is done with words and also with silence. (A. Rich)
Truth Proves Itself
• Whoever is careless with truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters. (A. Einstein)
• The truth is incontrovertible. While malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, in the end, there it is. (W. Churchil)
• How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
Four: calling the tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. (A. Lincoln)
• Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts. (D. P. Moynihan)
• True love would rather receive hate for telling the truth than adoration for telling lies.
• It's easy to believe what you are told if it is what you want to hear.
• A picture may paint a thousand words, but are those words true?
• Mercy and truth must walk hand in hand or there is no mercy.
Time and truth are two of the most precious and important commodities we foolishly spend by thinking less of them than we ought.
Helpful Quotes from Insightful Sources
❖ You may want to check out these quotes in the context of religious truth to expand your thinking on important issues.
Playing games with truth is the worst kind of Russian-roulette. The results reach further into the future than we first imagine, deeper into the grain of our lives than we can fathom.
Have You Ever Asked Yourself Why We Should We Tell The Truth?
A Practical Look at Honesty:
More Hubs about Using Words
- Civility And The Tucson Shootings
Everyone knows that it is ultimate crime to kill people, especially little girls. She knew it, Tucson knew it, and that criminal knew it. The issues surrounding the Tucson shootings are not about the word civil.
- Nothing New Under The Sun
There really is nothing new under the sun, but newbies dont always study history. Can there be any other explanation for why, after so many historical examples of its failures that brought crushing...
- Understanding the Power of Words
An essay on the power of the evocative power of words, and how they can be used to bless, or curse, their hearers.
- 10 Reasons Not to Lie
There are terrible consequences of lying including the loss of friends, family and respect from others.
- Honesty Tips and Quotes
I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man. - George Washington
- Six Reasons why you SHOULD learn another language.
A picture may paint a thousand words but a question begs to be asked: Are those words true?
More by this Author
Enjoy a little Christmas in July this summer: "A Change of Plans" is number 1 in a series of short stories. Has this man made up his mind?
Receiving a gift that truly means far more than anything money could ever buy often comes at a most unexpected time, and sometimes in unexpected ways.
Your insomnia may well be caused by products containing artificial sweeteners! Do you know how the brain responds to these products and what is being reported by consumers who have used them?