Understanding An Author’s Platform At-A-Glance
What is An Author's Platform
As a new author sometimes we find ourselves thinking that all that needs to be done is to write a book and tell others about it. What a bad way of thinking this is.
Writing the book is the actual easy part. Marketing, promoting and getting the book in the hands of readers is the part that can be challenging for the author.
In this hub, I plan on teaching the basics of an Authors platform. I think first to be able to lay out an Authors Platform you must first have an understanding to what an Authors platform is.
Now, first of all, let me start out by saying the concept of an author’s platform is quite difficult to explain however I am going to try to do my best.
An author’s platform is your online reference to allow your readers to see your credentials. First and foremost, platform grows out of the success of the body of work—or from producing great work. Remember that.
The author must be willing to spend an excessive amount of time growing the platform. The following list is not exhaustive, but it will give you an idea of how your platform can grow. Keep in mind an author’s platform does take time to develop:
- Distributing Your Book (s): An author needs to make sure he/she uses book distributors that works within your books chosen genre. If you use distributors that do not focus within your genre then how can an author expect their sales margin to increase. Part of building the author’s platform he or she wants the book to spread throughout and be able to tell his/her readers (or future readers) that the book is selling by a high number each day, week, and month.
- Book Trailers: It is very important that the author advertises his/her book. However, the author does not want to hard sell his/her book. So of the easiest tools that an author can use is to design book trailers publishing them throughout the World Wide Web. Take for instance you can design a trailer publish it to YouTube. Before publishing your books, trailer makes sure that in the description section you utilize keywords. By utilizing this tool, you are actually driving potential readers not by hard selling rather by having a higher rank on the search engines henceforth gaining more online visibility.
- An Authors Website: Having a website is one of the strongest tools that an author can use with their authors platform. A recommendation is to attach a blog site to the website. One of the biggest mistakes I see many authors doing when it comes to their website is not constantly updating the website with updated content. Remember search engines do crawl websites and part of how they rank your website is if your website has been updated or if your website appears to be a doormat. So please remember the S.E.O’s ranking system will be the tool that will get you higher on the search results within those engines.
Remember Book Reviews Are A Vital Tool To Success
Book Reviews: Post your books reviews on your website. The more reviews you can show to potential readers the higher the chance you will have to gain their trust in your content of your book being of high quality and worthy of the reader spending their hard earned money.
Utilize Website Tools To Engage Your Audience
- Engage Your Audience- Find meaningful ways to engage your audience, whether through events, online marketing/promotions, etc. So if you are a regular on Facebook do a book giveaway. However make sure that your audience has to sign up on your website. So type up an engaging snippet inserting the link to your website within that snippet. Now this has two ways of helping an author:
Backlinks each time you have pointed your websites URL the higher the ranking you will have on the search engines.
By inserting, You have driven potential readers over to your website. Hopefully, they will scroll throughout your website gaining knowledge of you and your content.
- Email Signup Form: This allows you to build an email list and allows you to keep them informed of your future work, future promotions, as well as your future engagements.
- Catch Phrase and Logo Design: Design a catch phrase and eye appealing logo. This will help with the author branding his/her content as a single unique brand of his or her own work. Again no one likes cookie cut purchases so by designing your own brand you are showing to your readers your work is unique.
The Number One Way to Get Published -- Your Author's Platform
What an Author Platform Is Not
What not to do while building your Authors Platform:
- It is not a tool to self-promote it is a tool to inform your readers of who you are.
- It is not about hard selling (Remember hard selling normally runs people off and makes you “The Author appear to be desperate)
Now this article was looking at an author’s platform only at a glance. As an author, it is best that you take the time to research an author’s platform, as well as you, should take the time to gain the needed knowledge to design an appropriate platform that best fits your genre.
Your platform should be creative one that you produced. While platform gives you the power to market effectively, it’s not something you develop by posting “Follow me!” on Twitter or “Like me!” on Facebook.
Remember use your imagination, and take meaningful steps. Building your platform is a long journey and probably will never have an end date to it.
I invite you to scroll through my other hubs as I have taken the time to discuss many subject matters on self-publishing successfully.
What is An Authors Platform
Do You Understand What A Successful Authors Brand IsSee results without voting
More by this Author
Throughout this blog I have laid out some promotional and marketing techniques that will help “The Author” come up with a strategist plan within their marketing and promotional needs. Throughout this blog the reader...
In this article I am going to take you through the principals of pitching both Non-Fiction and Fiction Books. I am also going to take some time to show the author the proper format of writing a pitch letter in both...
As authors we struggle with knowing the ins and outs of proper manuscript formatting. This hub is intended to teach authors how to properly format a manuscript while using Microsoft 2013.