What Is Psychometry?
By Christine B.
Have you ever picked up an object and saw a flash of who touched that object last, or who once owned it? Or, have you ever touched someone and got an insight to their past or future? If so, then you would be classified as psychometric. It basically means that you are able to determine information about objects or people by touching them and concentrating. It is believed that this is possible due to the fact that all objects--animate and inanimate--have energy fields that are capable of transferring knowledge regarding that object's history, or future (since there is really no such thing as time).
Often times this psychic ability is used to help find missing persons or to solve a particularly elusive criminal. Some psychometrics can envision a murder by touching the area it occurred.
As early as 1842 Joseph Rodes Buchanan developed the word “psychometry” to explain his theory that all things give off an emanation. This theory was reinforced with the development of Kirlian Photography where these energy fields were actually photographed with a special camera developed by Semyon Kirlin in 1939.
Buchanan wrote a treatise, Manual of Psychometry: The Dawn of a New Civilization in 1885. He believed that psychometry could be applied to many branches of science and that it was the measure of all things in the Universe.
However, in the late nineteenth century the art of psychometry was used as a popular stage act among true psychics and fraudulent entertainers, therefore losing some of its scientific reputation.
Gerard Croiset was a famous psychic with the gift of psychometry. He was born in Holland, Netherlands in 1909 and practiced his gift until his death in 1980. Croiset often helped the police solve crimes in his country and in others around the world. He has also been the subject of many books.
How Can You Develop The Gift of Psychometry?
Anyone has the ability to work in psychometry or any other branch of psychic phenomena, but most do not have the desire and will to develop these gifts. Keep in mind that the more you learn, the less you fear the unknown, and your innate psychic abilities. Read all you can on the subject. This is the first step to developing any talent. This also opens your mind to the paranormal world and to the things around you that you might have been ignoring. Also remember that if any psychic talent is abused or used for deviant reasons, it will be lost
How Do I Start?
1. Choose a hand that you will be using whenever you work with psychometry. If you are right handed, then you should use your left hand. Right-handed people use that hand to relay information, and the left hand to receive information. Therefore, use your non-dominant hand when attempting to pick up information.
2. Hold both hands at chest level with your fingertips pointing up (praying position). Slowly rub your hands together to generate energy flow. Then move your hands apart, then together again, and then apart until you feel the energy between them.
3. Always pick up the object you are attempting to read with your receptive/non-dominant hand so you don’t transfer any unrelated energy to the object with your dominant hand. Start the practice of always receiving objects from others with your non-dominant hand. This might be difficult at first, but soon it will become a habit.
4. Sit in a relaxed position with your eyes closed and your hands in your lap, with your palms facing upward.
5. Ask the person with you to place the object in your receptive hand (Left hand for right- handed people and use the Right hand if you are left-handed).
6. Concentrate on the object in your hand and take note of what it is telling you. If the person with you can take notes, you can tell them what you feel and see when holding the object. What you pick up might not make any sense to you, but keep talking and picking up energy from the object for as long as you can.
Practice this several times a day until you become used to the process. Your first several attempts should be with a close friend or relative, but use an object that you have never seen before and consciously know nothing about. This process will develop your gift of feeling and will expand your mind to picking up on energy that is all around us and usually ignored.
Once you become proficient at this process, the person who hands you an object might be able to ask specific questions that you will be able to answer for them. Example: “Should I change my place of employment?” “Is so-and-so the right person for me?” etc.
This form of psychometry is also referred to as “sight though touch” and is related to touching a person and gaining knowledge through their skin’s surface. Author Steven King gave his character Johnny Smith in his novel, “The Dead Zone” this ability after he awoke from a coma. This sounds as though it would be a rewarding talent to have; however, as you read and/or saw in the TV series by the same name, it can be very disconcerting. If every time you touched someone you were able to determine their past, present and future, you might eventually not want to be touched or touch anyone again. Think seriously about developing this talent, as
once it is developed, it would be difficult to turn it off.
More by this Author
Lake Michigan is one of the US Great Lakes and it has had its share of unexplained phenomena associated with it. These would include UFO sightings, lost ships and aircraft (over 40 of them), lake monsters sightings and...
There has always been a great deal of mystery surrounding the Giza Pyramids. Who made them and why and how were they constructed? Why do they align with the stars in Orion’s Belt? What is the curse that descends...
Near the city of Delingha in China a group of archaeologists from the US discovered a series of pipes that were merged with the mountains not far from Mount Baigong. The scientists were actually searching for dinosaur...