What is The Best Thing To Write About?
Picking Writing Subjects
Everyday writers face that brick wall when they get stuck and have no idea what they should write about next. Especially new writers like myself. More than once I have already asked myself: What Is The Best Thing To Write About? Often the idea well has temporarily ran dry and I am looking for some much needed inspiration.
You should think about what subjects you are the most knowledgeable about. When looking for writing ideas, writing subjects and the best writing subjects then consider:
- Your Profession. What do you do for a living to keep food on the table? If you wasn't good at your job you wouldn't last long with most companies, especially in the current economy. Consider your skill set and which aspects of it others would want to learn from so they could become more successful.
- What are your hobbies? Everything from creating art to how to take good pictures in a zoo would be useful to someone.
- What would you like to learn more about? If you choose a subject your already interested in learning you will be more motivated while researching it. You will be learning something you wanted to anyway. Your enthusiasm for the subject matter will show in your final product.
- What books, CD's, movies, appliances, gadgets, computers, laptops, netbooks, cars, motorcycles or even clothes do you own that you could write a product review about? While not necessary, it sure does help to actually own the product you are reviewing. No amount of research can replace first hand knowledge about a product.
- Are you into sports? If so you could write about your favorite team, its players, coach or even management. Sports equipment is another possibility.
- Do you travel often? You could write tips and tricks on how to Take a vacation to Europe on a budget. Replace Europe with any destination. You could review the Hotel you stayed in, the car rental company you used. Best Attractions to see and what to avoid. Trust me many users would find this sort of information very valuable as first time visitors.
- There is a tool I recently learned about that is targeted at webmasters, but it could easily be used to come up with new topic ideas. Pick two or three keywords that you know something about, lets says "Sports Equipment" for example. Then go type it into the Keyword Question Tool. Results returned include: "how to draw sports equipment?", "why should kids have better sports equipment?" among others. These are questions people are actually asking in search engines. Find some keywords that have many related questions that are asked often and you have hit upon a winning topic! Copy the question exactly into your title and URL and then answer the question in a highly relevant manner and you will most likely end up ranking highly for it without needing little or any SEO work. Of course I do still recommend you still backlink your hub to be be assured of ranking well in the search engines.
- Search for a forum related to a topic you intend to write about and look around for a while to see which types of questions users are asking there. Take special note of questions you see being asked often. You have easily found more winning topics to write about.
- Search the news sections of major web sites like Google for your keywords and look at related topics that are in the news. This isn't the best of ideas though because often these will not be evergreen topics. But if you pick a topic that comes up often or is of an on going concern to many then this would be a good topic to write about.
- Ask family and friends what topics are they always trying to find more information about, but find it difficult to find good answers for.
Now that you have a topic to write about I highly suggest your next step would be to do keyword research to make sure your using the best Good Keywords to rank well in the search engines and make the most money from your advertising space.
If you already know which keywords you wish to use then you still really should read my other hub about Effective Keyword Usage. While this hub is targeted at HubPages.com users much of the information given there applies to any web page or blog too. I'm sure you will find it useful.
If you found this hub helpful please consider clicking on the green oval button below to rank this hub up and bookmark it for future reference. I appreciate any links as well since I depend on traffic for my success.
Feel free to ask any questions you may have or make suggestions in the comments section below.
Thank You waynet for asking the question that inspired me to write this hub! You rock dude.
By Anthony Goodley ©Anthony Goodley 2010 All Rights Reserved Worldwide.
More by this Author
How To Get More Followers On HubPages - Everyone wants more followers on HubPages, but how to get them? Learn what works, what doesn't and what may get you banned.
Haiti Earthquake Facts - Facts about the 7.0 magnitude Earthquake In Haiti near Port-au-Prince on Tuesday, January 12, 2010.
YouTube Stars - I introduce you to top 10 Female YouTube Stars you are not going to want to miss. You're sure to discover someone you like here. The next Taylor Swift possibly?