Why is the English language important - The importance of the English language
If you are studying English, you are joining one billion other people, who are engaged in the same pursuit. English is the most widely spoken language in the world. Almost every school in the world teaches English to their students.
There are numerous causes, why English is so widely spoken. The first reason that might pop in your head might be that England had vast colonies around the world. It definitely the main reason, why English is so important right now. But, it definitely is not the only reason.
There are literally hundreds of thousands of words in the English language. Some estimate that the figure is close to one million, or even exceeds it. Of course that includes all the technical, scientific and medical terms, like pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis - 'a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust, causing inflammation in the lungs', it is the longest word in the Oxford's English Dictionary. The
English is an official language in about 50 sovereign states. Wherever in the world you travel, it is a big chance that you can get by using only English, and your hands, while speaking English.English is also the official language of many, many institutions and organisations. If you don't speak English, it will be very hard to land a decent job, irrespective of your location in the world.
Besides being the most widel spoken language in the world, the English language is somewhat funny.
- I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.
- Did you hear about the guy whose whole
left side was cut off? He's all right now.
- A small boy swallowed some coins and was taken to a hospital. When his grandmother telephoned to ask how he was a nurse said 'No change yet'.
- Noah's Ark was made of gopher-wood, but Joan of Arc was maid of Orleans.
- A bicycle can't stand on its own because it is two-tired.
A sentence like this is called punny. And they are quite humorous sentences to use.
English language is funny in many ways, it may be the sentences that have many meanings are funny, but there are also sentences or phrases that have one meaning, but because they are hard to pronounce or by saying the sentence you are saying something entirely else, e.g. alpha kenny body and sofa king ree tarded.
There are also things called tongue twister, that can help a person's proouncination, or in some cases they are used just for laughs.
- How many boards
Could the Mongols hoard
If the Mongol hordes got bored?
- Can you can a can as a canner can can a can?
- You cuss, I cuss, we all cuss, for asparagus!
- Chester Cheetah chews a chunk of cheep cheddar cheese.
- Excited executioner exercising his excising powers excessively.
- Three Swedish switched witches watch three Swiss Swatch watches switches. Which Swedish switched witch watch which Swiss Swatch watch witch?"
Of course there is not a simple answer to why the English language is so important? ,the most logical answer is that it is because of the vast colonies that England had. But whilst that is a good answer, it isn't for sure the only answer. English is important language now, and thanks to the info age the English language will get even more important.
More by this Author
Mini vending machines are good things to have. They make almost every room awesome, and every visitor will always notice it and ask a question about it. Besides being a good conversation starter, they are also very...