Not unlike an actual zombie horde, zombies have come to infest all forms of popular culture. Zombie films and zombie books have been an institution for decades. It was Richard Matheson’s 1954 novel I Am Legend that introduced a unique apocalypse scenario, which then inspired George A. Romero and John Russo to make the iconic zombie movie Night of the Living Dead in 1968. Since then zombie stuff has infiltrated all forms of popular culture, and has taken a particular surge over the last 10 years. For example, check out the zombie movie list, which shows that over 400 zombie movies were released between 2000 and 2010. As with most subjects in the horror genre, there are vast differences in quality, from the top ten zombie movies to the b-grade filler that’s just for the horror junkies.
Movies and novels have long been integral to telling zombie stories. However, zombies can now lay claim to television and comics as well. Much of this can be credited to Robert Kirkman’s hard-hitting The Walking Dead comic, which was first released in 2003 and has now been made into a hit TV show on AMC. Zombie comics are also popular alternatives for Marvel, who use the genre to add variety to their own stable, for example Marvel Zombies. The aforementioned zombie film Night of the Living Dead has also inspired a number of zombie comics.
This hub will provide a zombie comic list of many of the popular zombie comics from the last twenty years as well as highlight some of the best ones.
The Walking Dead
The Walking Dead
The Walking Dead follows a former Kentucky police officer named Rick Grimes as he, his family and a group of survivors try and survive in a post-apocalyptic, zombie-infested world. Writer Robert Kirkman and artist Tony Moore created The Walking Dead in October 2003 and it has now accumulated nearly 100 issues and inspired a TV series, a video game, a board game and of course The Walking Dead TV series.
Charlie Adlard took over The Walking Dead artwork following issue six, but Tony Moore continued to provide the cover art until issue 24. It has been made available in trade paperbacks, hardcovers, omnibus editions and compendium editions.
The Walking Dead is known for its hard-hitting style, its willingness to kill of main characters and the amount of punishment inflicted on main protagonist Rick Grimes. In 2010 The Walking Dead won the Eisner Award for Best Continuing Series. In 2011 Rick Grimes was ranked by IGN as the 26th Greatest Comic Book Hero of All Time and ranked fellow character Michonne, as the 86th. In 2009 IGN had also ranked The Governor as 86th Greatest Comic Book Villain of All Time.
Marvel Zombies is a comic book series by Marvel Comics that features zombie versions of their superheroes and villains in an alternative reality. It was created by Mark Millar and Greg Land in 2005. However, many authors have contributed to the series, including Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman. Fred Van Lente has also significantly contributed to the series.
Most Marvel Zombies cover art is created by Arthur Suydam, who has created iconic pictures featuring prominent Marvel superheroes as zombies.
Victorian Undead was a limited series that was released in six issues between January and June 2010. It was initially published by Wildstorm, then DC Comics, their parent company, after Wildstorm folded. Victorian Undead was written by Ian Edginton with art by Davide Fabbri and features Sherlock Holmes and Dr John Watson fighting a zombie outbreak in Victorian England.
Zombie comics list, from most recent to oldest:
- Marvel Zombies Supreme (2011) by Marraffino, Frank. Art by Blanco, Fernando (Issues #1-5)
- Zombies Christmas Carol (2011) by McCann, Jim. Art by Baldeon, David
- Marvel Zombies 5 (2010) by Van Lente, Fred. Art by Lopez, Jose Angel Cano (Issues #1-5)
- Marvel Zombies: Evil Evolution (2010) by DeKraker, Adam. Art by Wong, Walden, DiSalvo, Rob, DeKraker, Adam and Soriano, Carlo (Oneshot)
- Victorian Undead (2010) by Edginton, Ian. Art by Fabbri, Davide
- Night of the Living Dead: Holiday Special (2010) by Wolfer, Mike. Art by Wolfer, Mike
- Marvel Zombies 4 (2009) by Van Lente, Fred. Art by Walker, Kev (Issues #1-4)
- Marvel Zombies Return (2009) by Van Lente, Fred. Art by Dragotta, Nick (Issues #1-5)
- The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks (2009) by Brooks, Max. Art by Roberson, Ibraim (Oneshot)
- Dark 48 (2008) by O'Connell, Steven. Art by Indro, Daniel (Issues #1-2)
- Marvel Zombies 3 (2008) by Van Lente, Fred. Art by Walker, Kev (Issues #1-4)
- Xombie: Reanimated (Volume 1) (2008) by Farr, James. Art by Lovett, Nate
- Everybody's Dead (2008) by Lynch, Brian. Art by Crosland, David
- Kolchak Tales: Night Stalker of the Living Dead (2008) by Mills, Christopher. Art by Hamilton, Tim
- Night of the Living Dead: Annual (2008) by Russo, John. Art by George, Edison and Czerniawski, Luis
- Escape of the Living Dead Annual (2007) by Wolfer, Mike. Art by Wolfer, Mike (Issues #1)
- Awakening (2007) by Tapalansky, Nick. Art by Eckman-Lawn, Alex (Issues #1-3)
- Marvel Zombies vs. The Army of Darkness (2007) by Layman, John. Art by Neves, Fabiano (Issues #13, #1-5)
- Crawl Space: XXXombies (2007) by Remender, Rick. Art by Dwyer, Kieron (Issues #1-4)
- Marvel Zombies 2 (2007) by Kirkman, Robert. Art by Phillips, Sean (Issues #1-5)
- 28 Days Later: The Aftermath (2007) by Niles, Steve. Art by Calero, Dennis, Almos, Diego, Branch, Ken and Jones, Nat (Oneshot)
- Marvel Zombies: Dead Days (2007) by Kirkman, Robert. Art by Phillips, Sean (Oneshot)
- Deadworld: Frozen Over (2007) by Raicht, Mike. Art by Dallocchio, Frederico
- Living With the Dead (2007) by Richardson, Mike. Art by Stenbeck, Ben
- Night of the Living Dead: Hunger (2007) by Russo, John. Art by Waterhouse, Ryan
- Night of the Living Dead: Just A Girl (2007) by Russo, John. Art by George, Edison
- Pieces for Mom: A Tale of the Undead (2007) by Niles, Steve. Art by Ritchie, Andrew
- Plague of the Living Dead (2007) by Russo, John. Art by Verma, Dheeraj
- Raise the Dead (2007) by Moore, Leah and Reppion, John. Art by Petrus, Hugo
- The Savage Brothers (2007) by Cosby, Andrew and Stokes, Johanna. Art by Albuquerque, Rafael
- Blackgas (2006) by Ellis, Warren. Art by Fiumara, Max (Issues #1-3)
- Blackgas (2006) by Ellis, Warren. Art by Fiumara, Max (Issues #1-3)
- Escape of the Living Dead: Airborne (2006) by Russo, John A.. Art by Verma, Dheeraj (Issues #1-3)
- The Last Christmas (2006) by Duggan, Gerry and Posehn, Brian. Art by Remender, Rick (Issues #1-5)
- '68 (2006) by Kidwell, Mark. Art by Jones, Nat (Oneshot)
- Day of the Dead: The Rising of Bub (2006) by Kidwell, Mark. Art by Zornow, Jeff (Oneshot)
- Dead Sonja: She Zombie with a Sword (2006) by Potchak Jr., Rob. Art by Furtado, AP., Gieni, Owen and Mokhtar, Remy (Oneshot)
- Escape of the Living Dead: Fearbook (2006) by Wolfer, Mike. Art by Wolfer, Mike (Oneshot)
- Highschool of the Dead (2006) by Sato, Daisuke and Sato, Shouji. Art by Sato, Shoji
- Fear the Dead (2006) by Anthology. Art by
- Night of the Living Dead: Back From the Grave (2006) by Russo, John. Art by Fiumara, Sebastian
- Night of the Living Dead: The Beginning (2006) by Russo, John. Art by Fiumara, Sebastian
- Dead@17: Protectorate (2005) by Hamby, Alex. Art by Hall, Benjamin (Issues #1-3)
- Shaun of the Dead (2005) by Pegg, Simon and Wright, Edgar (original story) Ryall, Chris (adaption). Art by Howard, Zach (Issues #1-4)
- Escape of the Living Dead (2005) by Russo, John A.. Art by Verma, Dheeraj (Issues #1-5)
- Containment (2005) by Red, Eric. Art by Stakal, Nick (Issues #1-5)
- Marvel Zombies (2005) by Millar, Mark and Kirkman, Roberts. Art by Phillips, Sean (Issues #1-5)
- Dead Eyes Open (2005) by Shepherd, Matthew. Art by Boney Jr., Roy (Issues #1-6)
- Ultimate Fantastic Four (2005) by Millar, Mark. Art by Land, Greg (Issues #21-23, #30-32)
- Black Panther (2005) by Hudlin, Reginald. Art by Portela, Francis (Issues #27-31)
- Dead West (2005) by Spears, Rick. Art by G, Rob (Oneshot)
- Books of the Dead: Devilhead (2005) by Sullivan, Tom. Art by Medors, Josh
- Land of the Dead (2005) by Romero, George A. (original story) and Ryall, Chris. Art by Rodriguez, Gabriel
- Moonstone Monsters: Zombies (2005) by Van Lente, Fred, Henderson, C. J. and Storrie, Paul D.. Art by Ellis, Steve, Goodell, Scott, LeMien, Scott and Figueroa, Walter
- Dawn of the Dead (2004) by Romero, George A. (original story) and Niles, Steve (adaption). Art by Chee (Issues #1-3)
- Dead@17: Rough Cut (2004) by Howard, Josh, Hamby, Alex, Embry Egg, Burns, Jason M., Hopkins, David and Bussey, Pat. Art by Howard, Josh, Abel, Martin, Hall, Benjamin, Law, Scotty, Stephens, Sean and Bussey, Pat (Issues #1-3)
- Dead@17: Blood of Saints (2004) by Howard, Josh. Art by Howard, Josh (Issues #1-4)
- Dead@17: Revolution (2004) by Howard, Josh. Art by Howard, Josh (Issues #1-4)
- Remains (2004) by Niles, Steve. Art by Dwyer, Kieron (Issues #1-5)
- Toe Tags (2004) by Romero, George A.. Art by Castillo, Tommy (Issues #1-6)
- Misplaced@17 (2004) by Blaylock, Josh and Howard, Josh. Art by Blaylock, Josh and Howard, Josh (Oneshot)
- Shaun of the Dead: There's Something About Mary (2004) by Pegg, Simon and Wright, Edgar. Art by Irving, Frazer (Oneshot)
- Living With Zombies (2004) by Billman, C. Mathew and Herndon, Christopher M.. Art by Billman, C. Mathew and Herndon, Christopher M.
- Night of the Living Dead: Barbara's Zombie Chronicles (2004) by Moen, Joel and Kidwell, Mark. Art by Kidwell, Mark
- Strange Killings: Necromancer (2004) by Ellis, Warren. Art by Wolfer, Mike
- Cursed (2003) by Avery, Fiona Kai and Blevins, Tippi. Art by Molenaar, Romano (Issues #1-4)
- Dead@17 (2003) by Howard, Josh. Art by Howard, Josh (Issues #1-4)
- The Walking Dead (2003) by Kirkman, Robert. Art by Moore, Tony and Adlard, Charlie (Ongoing)
- On the Far Side With Dead Folks (2003) by Lansdale, Joe R.. Art by Truman, Timothy
- Resident Evil Code: Veronica (2002) by Chung Hing, Lee and King Sum, Hui. Art by King Sum, Hui (Issues #1-4)
- Resident Evil: Fire and Ice (2000) by Adams, Ted and Oprisko, Kris. Art by Bermejo, Lee and Crystal, Shawn (Issues #1-4)
- Resident Evil (1998) by Adams, Ted and Oprisko, Kris. Art by Odagawa, Ryan, Bermejo, Lee and D'Anda, Carlos (Issues #1-5)
- King Zombie (1998) by Sniegoski, Tom. Art by Burrows, Jacen
- Night of the Living Dead (1994) by Hannan, Noel. Art by Rawling, Rik
- Dead in the West (1993) by Lansdale, Joe R. (original story) and Barrett Jr., Neal (adaption). Art by Jackson, Jack (Issues #1-2)
- Night of the Living Dead: London (1993) by Barker, Clive and Niles, Steve. Art by Kastro, Carlos
- Realm of the Dead (1993) by Garrett, Kyle. Art by Morea, Chris
- Deadworld (1992) by Reed, Gary. Art by Locke, Vince and Makkonen, Sami
- Re-Animator: Dawn of the Re-Animator (1992) by Spangler, Bill. Art by Malaga, Jose
- Deadwalkers (1991) by Weppler, Christopher L.. Art by Grigni, John
- Night of the Living Dead: Prelude (1991) by Skulan, Tom. Art by Kastro, Carlos
- Night of the Living Dead (1991) by Romero, George A. and Russo John (original story) Skulan, Tom and Stanway, Eric (adaption). Art by Kastro, Carlos with Meheu, Eric
Zombie Comic Poll
What's your favorite zombie comic?See results without voting
Leave a comment, or better yet - write a hub of your own!
More by this Author
Mediterranean Cruise port guide with practical advice, excursion help and CruisingExcursions.com reviews. Get tips on the best way to see Rome, Athens, Istanbul, Florence, Naples, Barcelona and more.
Learn the dark arts of the rugby union scrum. Sixteen of the biggest players on the field smash together and push in a desperate bid for the ball.
Since 2002 Zombie movies began appearing exponentially like the pandemic horde of flesh flesh eating undead they represent. Check out the top ten zombie movies of the last fifteen years.