Imogen French profile image 90

What is your favourite Thomas Hardy novel?

Thomas Hardy was from Dorset, my part of the world, and I love both his stories and the beautiful descriptions of the Dorset countryside at the last turn of the century. I find it hard to decide which is my favourite. How about you?

DreamerMeg profile image85

Best Answer DreamerMeg says

• Imogen French profile image

Imogen French 4 years ago

Meg - I agree with all your observations. I also enjoyed the film version of Far From the Madding Crowd, and cried when I read Jude! Thanks for a well thought out answer.

marwan asmar profile image80

Marwan Asmar says

• Imogen French profile image

Imogen French 4 years ago

Hi marwan, this does seem to be one of the most popular. I enjoyed this story too, and at least it has a sort of happy ending, unlike many of his other books. :)

Mazzy Bolero profile image91

Mazzy Bolero says

• Imogen French profile image

Imogen French 4 years ago

Yes, I love the ironic plot of this book too. Hardy seemed to understand both the male and female psyche very well, and this is another reason I love his stories.

First Colony profile image60

First Colony says

• Imogen French profile image

Imogen French 4 years ago

Thanks for your answer, first colony. I know what you mean about all the characters being important - I suppose in small rural communities everybody knew each other and had an effect on each other's lives.