Billie Kelpin profile image 90

Do you write with a pen or a computer?

When my husband first suggested around 1990 that I use a computer for writing, I cried when I tried. I told him the thoughts got from my head to the paper through my pen and I resisted. So for all these years I tied myself to the computer. Only recently I realized I could actually take a pad and pencil outside and write and not be tied to the chair in my office (the only negative of writing for me). So I took my notebook and wrote the parts I could "on the fly" and came back to do the internet searches, etc. and add those. What's your process?

Anna Haven profile image92

Anna Haven says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Anna, Great! I'm going to start carrying a notebook around with me more. I'm learning a lot from this question !!! :)

Louise Lately profile image88

Louise Lately says

MarleneB profile image96

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Fascinating. I'm going to check to see if you have a hub re: sensitivity to electrical impulses. I am of the belief that WE also send out electrical impulses that can be pick up by another (My husband sometimes can often the number in my in my head!

Elderberry Arts profile image95

Claire (Elderberry Arts) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Are you left-handed, per chance? I was just talking to someone yesterday about Dragon and Dragon Speak (I don't know the difference). I have a quadraplegic friend across the country who has used Dragon Speak. There needs to be a hub about that :)

Victoria Anne profile image95

Victoria Anne says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

That's so sweet - "I like how my writing looks..." I interpreted once for a study skills class at St. Cloud University and the instructor quoted research that shows exactly the point you're making - information stays longer when interacting with it.

dahoglund profile image83

Don A. Hoglund (dahoglund) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Very helpful - about switching writing tools if you hit a writer's block. I think I need to adapt YOUR method. I usually just head to the refrigerator :(.

MarieAlana1 profile image82

Marie Alana (MarieAlana1) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Yes. When a person is in the "Flow" as Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi writes about, the computer is great. PS, just went to your hubs and re: graphic organizers, I used a computer one years ago and it helped students TREMENDOUSLY. Can't remember the name:

Dan Barfield profile image85

Dan Barfield says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Life sure does get in the way, but I keep telling my actress daughter that everything that happens is for the art - it's all for the next story or essay or (hang on) blockbuster movie!

JimTxMiller profile image86

Jim Miller (JimTxMiller) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

I MUST read your hubs, Jim. It sounds as if you lead an interesting life. I wanted to go into journalism, but took the wrong route. oops. Cheers

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

VERY interesting. I was starting to suspect that about me. That's why I wrote this question. I'll have to do some research - on MYSELF!

Diana Lee profile image79

Diana L Pierce (Diana Lee) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Diana, I just now noticed I didn't reply here. Interesting that in the creative phase you use a pen. It sounds as if the pen in your hand triggers your creation. Cheers, Billie

MickS profile image76

MickS says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

I'm going to try doing the drafts in pencil (especially pencil). I've been tying myself to the keyboard and I think I"m going to switch. Thanks Mick!

sunilkunnoth2012 profile image73

Sunil Kumar Kunnoth (sunilkunnoth2012) says

penlady profile image60

penlady says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Penlady, Don't know why my comment didn't show up long ago. Your answer is great because it emphasizes the connection of creativity to the kinesthetic feeling of "pen in hand". PS, your hub name is perfect for this question! Thank you!

khmohsin profile image60

khmohsin says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

KYours is a story in and of itself! Very impressive. I had a Chinese friend whose mother had a stroke 'n afterward cld understand English like before, but only ANSWER in Chinese. My SpeechPath/ OT friends tell me of AMAZING re-directing of brain.

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

My daughter, Bethany, tells me how much she love her ipad. I HAVE to get one! I really don't know what it is about me and outside, but it's where I always want to me and rarely end up! Your first novel???? Wow. I DO have to get to everyone's hubs!

phillippeengel profile image71

CDX (phillippeengel) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Phillippeengel. Yes! Don't you think that adaptation is the key to mostly EVERYTHING in life? Someone once told me years ago "Don't be a dinosaur, Billie." That comment still is with me and makes me try to be as adaptive as I can push myself.

0

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

JT. Thanks! Years ago I uses to be able to hold SENTENCES in my head when they were flowing and then write or type them later. Now, if I don't write an idea down immediately, it's gone. So I'm going to make it