LisaKoski profile image 91

How do you determine how much to charge for an hourly rate for a freelance writing gig?

I've been offered a job to write 1-3 articles monthly. They've never worked with a freelance writer and I've never been offered a paying job so neither of us know what is fair. It requires research for each article, so we agreed that an hourly rate, rather than charging per article is fair but I'm still not sure how much I should charge.

DonnaCSmith profile image84

Donna Campbell Smith (DonnaCSmith) says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 3 years ago

For magazines or something, for online that is way high for standard content articles though isn't it? I know print tends to pay higher.

Karen Banes profile image90

Karen Banes says

• LisaKoski profile image

LisaKoski 3 years ago

No he just told me to let him know what I think is fair next time we meet in a couple of days to talk about everything. I'm afraid of overcharging and losing this or undercharging and screwing myself over lol

carter06 profile image88

Mary (carter06) says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 3 years ago

I was answering on the assumption this is articles for website content :) if it's print or highly specialized that's a different story. I'd base it on what you want to earn per hour though and then ask for that amount.