M. T. Dremer profile image 91

Why are abusive relationships popular in romance fiction?

There seems to be a lot of romance fiction out there where the main character is obliviously engaged in an abusive relationship (mostly mental but some physical). These relationships, wherein the man is portrayed as controlling and stalker-ish, are played up as normal, with little consideration given to the damage it's causing to the female characters. Books like Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey have proven this formula is popular, but personally, I can't understand why.

danicole profile image82

danicole says

• M. T. Dremer profile image

M. T. Dremer 2 years ago

I'm actually referring to romances where the abusive aspect isn't acknowledged by the author. At no point does the book admit the relationship is bad. If anything, it plays up such practices as 'sexy' and 'appealing'.

Nicole Winter profile image61

Nicole A. Winter (Nicole Winter) says

• M. T. Dremer profile image

M. T. Dremer 2 years ago

I should have clarified in the initial question, but like I said in my comment to dashingscorpio, the novels I'm referring to don't acknowledge the abuse. The man doesn't get comeuppance and the woman sees nothing wrong with the behavior.

0