Have you ever read a book that had you looking over your shoulder?

A long time ago I read a book by Peter Straub, "Ghost Story" and it was so terrifyingly eerie, I had to sit with my back to a wall as I was so creeped out while reading it. It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up as they say. It is a great thriller and draws you right into the eerie scenes. I loved it. Even Stephen King said it is one of the best horror novels. Image courtesy of Wikipedia.

tirelesstraveler profile image86

Best Answer Judy Specht (tirelesstraveler) says

Faith Reaper 16 months ago

Hi Judy, Yes, that is exactly the feeling I am talking about especially reading, Turning of the Screw! Thank you for the great descriptive answer. The Grimm's are grim ...

chefmancave profile image86

Robert Loescher (chefmancave) says

Faith Reaper 16 months ago

Hi Robert, thank you for answering. I will have to read "The Fall" as I do love the philosophically scary ones too. My interest is piqued in reading Camus.

Venkatachari M profile image87

Venkatachari M says

Faith Reaper 16 months ago

Hi Ven, those childhood books from your Telugu language certainly sound terrifying. As far as movies, The Exorcist is the most terrifying to me for it can happen!

moonfairy profile image86

moonfairy says

Faith Reaper 16 months ago

Hi moonfairy, Yes, exactly! The way it is written is just so eerie to me and creeped me out when I was reading alone in the house. Thank you for sharing that with me and I am glad to know someone else read that book and it had the same effect.

Sparklea profile image78

Sparklea says

Faith Reaper 16 months ago

Hi Sparklea, Wow, sounds like Bill accomplished what he set out to do in his writing! I am not into zombies and such, but the real deal stuff is what truly creeps me out too, for as you say, it can really happen. Thank you for the great answer here.

Frank Atanacio profile image74

Frank Atanacio says

Faith Reaper 16 months ago

Hmmm, that is interesting, Frank. Well, come to think of it, all of your writing makes me look over my shoulder LOL ...You are such a fright. I mean, your writing is chilling.

Jackie Lynnley profile image77

Jackie Lynnley says

Faith Reaper 16 months ago

Yes, I think he didn't hit it big until this book came out way back in 1979! I've only read a couple of Stephen King too. Oh, yes, Dean Koontz is best. Oh, I know those True Crime will have you looking over your shoulder big time. Books rule!