The Unknown Story of Mao

1. 60
    boxoutposted 4 years ago

Has anyone read this book (or others on Mao)? It is described as being authoritative and well researched but is extremely negative about Mao, his motives and his methods. While I never thought of Mao as being a good guy, I was surprised by some of the things attributed to him. For example: responsible for over 70 million peacetime deaths of Chinese people; not really interested in communism but rather in his own personal power (I get the power thing but was surprised by the lack of any real interest in communism); said to have used the Korean War (along with Stalin) as a means to "grind down American forces" using "an unlimited supply of expendable Chinese soldiers". The latter were said to be mostly former Nationalist troops, which were intended to be killed by the Americans as a way of getting rid of them. It was also said that mop up squads were positioned behind the lines to kill any of these soldiers who tried to retreat. Comments?

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 4 years ago

Sounds like the usual insipid superficial right wing propaganda. God knows I heard enough of it all my life the Red and Yellow menace.