jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Have you succombed to the epidemic of crutch words?

1. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Ok, all you Hub Pages WRITERS. Fess up on which of these crutch words you're guilty of using on a regular basis?

I admit, I start way too many sentences with So....
    How about you?
    smile

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertai … rds/56748/

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I find I use the word "will" an awful lot when describing upcoming events.

2. livewithrichard profile image83
    livewithrichardposted 4 years ago

Haha... very interesting... I think I probably use "As a matter of fact" a little too much.

3. hopped profile image91
    hoppedposted 4 years ago

This may not quite fit, but I like to double up on adjectives.  He isn't the witty writer, he's the witty, clever writer.  It isn't an exciting moment, it's an exciting, delightful moment. I just noticed in the Hub I'm drafting right now that I've done this three times in one sentence!

Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Adjective mania ... catch it!
      lol

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
        Barbara Kayposted 4 years ago in reply to this

According to Stephen King, we should try to cut most words that end in ly and the word very. I catch myself making these two mistakes the most.

1. hopped profile image91
          hoppedposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't mind ly words, personally (see what I did there?) though I'm obviously not a writer of Stephen King's caliber.

I do have to agree with "very," though.  For an amplifying word, it's surprisingly weak sounding.

That is very sound advice.
            A good way to remember it is to think of Stephen King and imagine some gruesome Kingian fate will befall us if we overuse "ly" words.
            Be afraid. Be very afraid.
            Oops.
            Just be afraid.
            lol

1. hopped profile image91
              hoppedposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Man, I hope my car and/or clown and/or dead pet and/or high school classmate don't come to get me!

OMG.
                That's IT! (pun originally not intended, but why not, eh?)
                When I feel tempted by excessive adverbs I will mentally think of Pennywise.
                *shudder*

Ha ha!
                Stay safe, hopped!
                MM

4. JayeWisdom profile image94
    JayeWisdomposted 4 years ago

My over-used word is "however," which I let myself freely use in forums. I allow myself one "however" in a fictional story or article, but sometimes find another that "sneaked in while I wasn't paying attention" when I proofread it. Then I have to brutally cut it out, even though I love that word!  :  ) 

All writers have some of these favorite "padding" words, even best-selling authors. It's fun when reading one of their books to watch for them!

working