jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Forget the election - this is HUGE!!

1. habee profile image89
    habeeposted 4 years ago

Tolkien's unpublished poem, "The Fall of Arthur," is about to see the light of day! The 200+ pages are about King Arthur, Mordred, Gawain, etc., based on the works of Sir Thomas Malory and Geoffrey of Monmouth. I hope they turn it into a movie! Okay, can you tell I love the Arthurian legends? That's one reason I chose to teach Brit lit. lol

1. Ann1Az2 profile image60
      Ann1Az2posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I've always enjoyed stories about Arthur, too. They've had some pretty good movies in the past. If they make one from this that is anywhere near as good as Lord of the Rings, they'll be doing good.

2. lrc7815 profile image93
    lrc7815posted 4 years ago

I have loved Tokien since the 70's when I read the Trilogy but I hate to burst your bubble...the release doesn't take precedent over this election which is the most important in my lifetime.  :-)

3. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 4 years ago

Too cute, Habee!

Lrc7815, you may or may not realize that Habee is speaking with tongue in cheek. You've probably seen all of the forum threads about the election that she has opened (or to which she has contributed) and you may or may not have had a chance to see that she is probably the fairest of all Hubbers in the political comments she has made.

It's nice to take a break from the worries of the campaigns to mention something else of interest. They sure had their own unique ways of settling political disputes back in the days of Arthur, didn't they?

1. habee profile image89
      habeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That's so nice of you to say!

1. Aficionada profile image93
        Aficionadaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

But just true. smile

Maybe we should put all the candidates in chain mail and full armor, put them on horseback, and set them on each other.

No, let me backtrack on that. Too much is at stake, and I don't like the thought of how "dirty politics" might play out in that kind of scenario. I might like to see that for members of Congress, though. big_smile!

1. habee profile image89

Funny you should mention that. I jokingly told a lib pal of mine we should just put the prez candidates and the VP candidates in a rubber room and let them "go at it." She agreed! lol

1. Aficionada profile image93
            Aficionadaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Too funny!

I wouldn't mind if they could pick someone to do the fighting for them, though. Sometimes the best leader isn't necessarily the strongest physically. Wouldn't it be awful if we got a dimwitted tough guy out of that type of battle?

4. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

Now you're talking, habee.  That is exciting. 
    Do you have a link to share?

I've been following the up and coming trilogy of The Hobbit.  Peter Jackson couldn't do it in one or two movies. Part 1, The Hobbit: The Unexpected Journey releases Dec. 14,2012.  I'm excited.

1. habee profile image89
      1. rebekahELLE profile image91
        rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the link.  So nice that it's an epic poem.  I like what I read so far. 
        I also got a kick from reading the comments with the article,  some entertaining avatars along with the Brit wit.

5. leahlefler profile image98
    leahleflerposted 4 years ago

Oh, YAY! I can't wait until it is published. And I'm all for another Tolkien-inspired movie!

working