jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)

Beyouring Creative is a Sign that you're INSANE!!!!

1. ptosis profile image79
    ptosisposted 4 years ago

Do you agree? Yes, no or "the voices in my head are ignoring me"

"Creativity is often part of a mental illness, with writers particularly susceptible ... higher risk of anxiety and bipolar disorders, schizophrenia, unipolar depression, and substance abuse ... twice as likely ... to kill themselves ...  do not romanticise people with mental health problems ...  as struggling creative geniuses"

2. grand old lady profile image88
    grand old ladyposted 4 years ago

Stephen Fry made a really nice documentary about his being bipolar, and how it enriched his creativity. I think you have to be a little nuts or a lot nuts to be a writer. Unless you are gonna be a straight laced religious writer. And who is to say who is more nuts? Religious experiences are also often related to symptoms of nutness.,

ptosisposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I took out my brain once and played with it although it was small toy. Then one day, dropped it into the meat grinder and made nutella, a delicious chocolate hazelnut spread.

3. Shanna11 profile image90
    Shanna11posted 4 years ago

I think every genius is a little bit nuts. A lot of the best books were written by people who suffered from depression or mental illness of some sort. Doesn't make it better, and I don't believe we should romanticize it or anything like that, but it is true....

I always thought that old time artists got insane from the paints that they used.

Volatile Organic Compounds | Toluene Toxicity
      exposing themselves to persistent concentrations long after the activity is completed.

I know for a fact then when I worked in a enamel highway sign place with little ventilation and the cleaner naptha (the stuff  in your bic lighters) I went from sleeping 6-8 hours a day to 12-14 hours from the fumes. Black & red were the worst. And YES, personality changes.

The absolute worst is the metallic flake car paint. I lived across the street from a painter and on Monday that guy would paint, paint, paint to make up for the last two days of withdrawal. By Fri, hardly painted.

I forgot the saying about  painters' withdrawal. But would need a very special mask filters that only last 4 hours. I Know nobody who uses these very expensive filters.

Shellac on raw cement will enrage the painters. So I  think this study is showing a link - but not the cause.

I never huffed - but have been exposed to a lot of chemical at work, toluene, benzene,  hexane, I used to use trichloroethylene  like water to clean typewrites. but the one I had to clock out on and come back is whenever somebody used FEDRON.  That stuff makes me go weird.

1. grand old lady profile image88
        grand old ladyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The street kids inhale rugby. It's the poor man's version of methylphetamine, and it melts the brain.

Rugby as in soccer or a drug-drug in slang?

4. grand old lady profile image88
    grand old ladyposted 4 years ago

Rugby as in the sturdy glue they use to connect soles to shoes and other things. It's a common construction material.

5. Para Nought profile image61
    Para Noughtposted 4 years ago

I've noticed many creative people are not 'normal' to say the least. Is creativity a side effect of insanity or is insanity a side effect of creativity?

6. derek gulbranson profile image80
    derek gulbransonposted 4 years ago

It's actually all true. If you're interested, "Imagine" by John Lehrer is a great read (even though he falsified some of the quotes in it).

http://books.google.com/books/about/Ima … PsvBBJxLkC

The act of being creative involves shutting down the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, which is responsible for restricting your subconscious thoughts from spilling over into your conscious. When this shuts down, you also become hard to deal with because all the thoughts you'd normally keep in polite check with what's socially acceptable now spill out into your consciousness.

7. andrew savage profile image60
    andrew savageposted 4 years ago

If you meant "BYERING" rather than "beyouring," I agree. I also agree that treating creative minds with synthetic drugs not completely understood to lull such psyches into a Hylic state of mind (see gnosticism) that focuses only on the material, etcetera, is a symptom of a form of psychosis in the likeness of inquisitioners and witch burners. As most inquisitioners are possessed by byering behaivourisms and are one of the most common threats of terrorism throughout the world.

While some people who are creative may be more susceptable to mental illness, there are reasons for such sensitive areas of the mind becoming vulenerable like an open sore. For example, some people who are creative are not always brought up in the appropriate environments, trauma, have fewer friends due to flaws of society or what is going on at home, inside, etcetera. Also, one must not forget that some of those among man, as the ape that man is, still possess some primordial behaviourisms that warrent caution as there are a few depraved people out there who would probably kill their own brother to get ahead... This behaviourism is rappant among cultures that manufacture schemes of law that injure artists. (example: Sharia Law and the Patriot Act are two perfect examples of polar opposites of the same damaging behaviourism and threats to humanity... so long as they exist in the minds of their followers). Do what thou (your higher power, the I am, etcetera) will... and perhaps you too will come to destroy the surly bonds standing between you and creation.

People deserve to be creative, among creative minds, and masters alike, free of thought suppression and intellect warping. If anyone is ever to become sentient in their life opening the door of their conscience to maturing in their craft and trade is a must, because it is the means by which we perfect our society.

8. galleryofgrace profile image81
    galleryofgraceposted 4 years ago

As my second ex-husband always said- "Educated artists are freaky people"? He might have been right.(for once)

9. grand old lady profile image88
    grand old ladyposted 3 years ago

I would go crazy in a normal world. There is graciousness in freakishness and the madness is what makes me high. Someone once said "I would rather have 30 seconds of fabulous than a lifetime of nothing special." I treasure my 30 seconds.

10. abbykorinnelee profile image80
    abbykorinneleeposted 3 years ago

I have learned to not define crazy anymore, because I agree with grand old lady...I would go crazy in the normal world.