jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What have been your most effective writing prompts?

1. ThompsonPen profile image84
    ThompsonPenposted 3 years ago

I recently wrote a hub about writing prompts, and what works for me. But I want to hear what works for every one else. I like actual prompts for a story, such as "You walk into your sister's livingroom. The furniture, wall colors and even the scent is different. A stranger comes in from the kitchen. What happens next?" or ways of generating plots and characters.
    What are your favorite creativity stimulating practices?

1. Hyphenbird profile image95
      Hyphenbirdposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I like prompts that provide a sentence and the story is built from there. An example would be this one which I have created three stories from:
      "The birds are chirping and the sun is rising over the trees. I see you there in the distance....."

2. Altari profile image59
      Altariposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I prefer prompts that give the ending. "And the man lived out the rest of his days on the desert island."

3. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

My most effective writing prompt is "if you don't write this you will not be paid" smile

2. 2uesday profile image90
    2uesdayposted 3 years ago

My writing prompts are rarely words, my stories usual come from images that then become part of the story. The images can be of a place, such as a beach or a staircase, or of something like an image on a ceramic tile or even a piece of fabric.

3. Hyphenbird profile image95
    Hyphenbirdposted 3 years ago

Altari, I have written stories or poems where I knew the ending before starting the piece but have never used a n actual ending prompt. Very interesting!