Are other revenue sharing sites worth the effort?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (27 posts)
  1. anish92 profile image66
    anish92posted 11 years ago

There are possibly a hundred odd revenue sharing sites but is it even worthwhile to go through them if you write for all or some of the following?
    1. Hubapges
    2. Infobarrel
    3. Squidoo
    4. Bukisa
    5. Xomba

1. gags3480 profile image60
      gags3480posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree with you. I am using the first four, but never tried Xomba.

2. GracieLake profile image64
      GracieLakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I haven't tried ALL of them, but am concentrating on a few. I also added Empower Network.com/GracieLake because it's not just revenue sharing but gives you direct commissions. I already made more in a couple weeks than I did all year from Hubpages.  (although I LOVE Hubpages and think it's a great system) You can repost/rewrite your posts for Empower Network. I will also look into Xomba and Bukisa...

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Empower Network is a scam
        http://lissowerbutts.com/empower-network-scam-or-legit/

Basically you don't make money from revenue-sharing, you make money by conning others into signing up too.   They also don't make money from revenue-sharing but have to rely on signing others up. . . it's a pyramid scheme.

2. viryabo profile image94
    viryaboposted 11 years ago

I think so, especially if you are a prolific writer. I do write on the first 3, including Thisisfreelance. And do earn from them all, in this order (best earnings) :
    1. Hubpages
    2. Infobarell
    3. Thisisfreelance
    4. Suite101
    5. Squidoo

I'm not that prolific, else i would have joined more. Though i joined Xomba, i haven't written any articles there yet. Too busy tweaking, updating, etc... some of the already listed.

3. mathom profile image76
    mathomposted 11 years ago

Every site's a little different, so some people will find them better suited than others. Unfortunately, it usually takes time to master a new site and learn what works.

But it's a good idea to diversify, once you've got one site working for you. You never know whn some site might lose traffic to some algorithm change.

I can't speak for the others, but just had my second-best Squidoo pay day at $1167. i've just started laying down a portfolio on Wizzley and Zujava, where many online acquaintances write. i've started to see a few Adsense pennies trickle in from my Wizzley articles.

4. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I would suggest that webanswers.com can be worth some time too.  Especially as webanswers are general pretty quick and easy to write.

anish92posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have heard of this site a lot but to the best of my knowledge they do not accept Indian contributors

1. gags3480 profile image60
        gags3480posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't agree. I am an Indian and using these sites. It's going very well.

Are you Indian and a member of webanswers??
          Then they must have changed their policy because I am pretty sure they didn't accept Indians back when I tried signing up?smile

2. aa lite profile image85
        aa liteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They do have a list of countries that they don't accept contributors from, which is mainly Asian countries, but I think they might treat you differently if you already have an Adsense account.

They seem to think that click fraud is very prolific in some countries and they ran into trouble a while ago because they have the reputation as a site that makes it easy to get an Adsense account through, hence their ban.

5. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

I haven't heard much that's good about Bukisa. This is my list of worthwhile sites:

Squidoo
    ThisisFreelance
    Zujava
    Wizzley
    Infobarrel
    Xobba (note, not Xomba)

I've never had much success at Squidoo myself because it does take effort.   Check out Greekgeek's advice on how to make it there.  The others are no-frills rev-sharing sites, some of them founded by ex-Hubbers.

Hi, I kind of like Wizzley as a publishing platform but have you actually earned anything from that site? I am a little concerned because its revenue generation depends a bit too heavily on affiliate programs for my liking. (I am much more comfortable with CPC and CPM as I am not really a traffic magnet).

I have only a handful of articles on that site and they haven't earned much, but then I haven't done much to promote them either.

I know several ex-Hubbers who moved to Wizzley and were full of praise, but who are no longer so impressed.  I think, like a lot of new sites, Wizzley had a "honeymoon period" with Google and that has long since worn off. 

However, I don't think it's any worse than any other rev-sharing site.  Pre-Panda, it was possible to write on a rev-sharing site and rely on the main site's high PR to attract traffic.  Those days are over, everywhere.  It still works on Squidoo, but they have a similar featured/idled system to HubPages, so you can't just write a lens and sit back. 

You say you don't like affiliates because you're not a traffic magnet: in that case, I'd have thought affiliates are what you need!   If you're only getting a small amount of traffic then you need to make the most of what you get,which means having really targeted advertising offering them something they will actually buy.

Apart from text books I have NEVER bought anything online and have absolutely no idea what people from other parts of the world might buy from Amazon:) And I think their commission share is pathetic and hardly earns anything unless you are selling something upwards of $100s.

I agree.  Amazon has only a one-day cookie, which means you must be really skilful in "selling" your reader the product before they've even clicked the ad. 

I wasn't referring to Amazon.  I was referring to eBay and countless other affiliates - which you can access on Wizzley using Viglinks.

2. anish92 profile image66

BTW, I just checked out thisisfreelance but they don't have a FAQs page. Could you please tell me more about this site as I have never hear of it till now

It's owned by former Hubber ThisisOli.  He earns his living online so he knows his stuff. The site isn't high profile but he's very strict about the standard of writing so it should have potential.

2. yarddog2k profile image61
        yarddog2kposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://www.thisisfreelance.com/faq/
        Here is the FAQ link for ThisIsFreelance. There isn't a lot of content on their FAQ page, but it is there.

6. adrienne2 profile image66
    adrienne2posted 11 years ago

Hi Marisa, I keep hearing very good things about Squidoo, but it does not seem to work for me.  I do not make any thing over there.  May I am not as dedicated, and I am partial to hubpages.  I would love to check out some of your lens on do you have a different pen name on squidoo?

I think I have only one lens there now!   There's an art to publishing on Squidoo and I'm too lazy to learn it.  Here's a good article I found on what's involved:

http://www.infobarrel.com/Always_do_the … on_Squidoo

Greekgeek also has some good advice.

7. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

I started at examiner.com last month and have made more in less than a month than I would in three years here. I even had an article go viral. It paid a year of hub pay in one day.

There is a problem, though. That site is cutting back on pay for international articles and the serious writers have been very upset. Since I'm new and have been very happy with the pay, I am not bothered.

I respect the advice in this forum topic about diversifying and will check out some of the other sites. Squidoo scared me, but I will read the advice and give it a try.

One thing about examiner: the article reviewers are specific and merciless with each article. The journalism, quality and AP style writing is no joke there.

Anyone who is serious about improving their news writing craft should invest some time there to make valuable improvements that will travel anywhere on the web.

That's interesting.  I knew a couple of people who signed up for Examiner when it started and they reported poor earnings, so I've never given it another thought.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was approved for The Examiner, but what I didn't like is that if you quit submitting articles, you can no longer earn money. You can't remove them and use them elsewhere either. I can't remember the time limit before they consider you no longer active, but it wasn't very long.

8. Healthy Pursuits profile image79
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years ago

I created an account for Squidoo and wrote a few articles. However, after I read several articles that were chosen as the lens of the day, I decided not to follow up on Squidoo. The most prized articles seem to be those that are mainly long, drawn-out ads for one product or another. I've never seen so much concentrated selling. That's not what I want to write.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Healthy Pursuits, I've noticed that too and writing ads just isn't my thing. I've written 4 articles there and have had troubles placing in Google with them. I've heard of so many people earning good money there though.

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image79
        Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have, too, Barbara. That's why I decided to try it. But I changed my mind after I got into it and was concentrating on what they considered their best articles. I felt that I had stumbled onto an ad mill. Didn't feel right for me at all.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)