How do you write a biography?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)
  1. ThompsonPen profile image66
    ThompsonPenposted 11 years ago

I know a truly inspirational person. Well, by "I know" I mean I am acquainted with. She has battled the law on so many things due to her amazing adopted son who was dealt a tricky hand, and happens to be a client of mine.
    Her life is something that I think would touch so many people, and I would love to write about her, let her know that her struggle has done so much for so many. But I have no idea how to write a biography, and I don't even know how to go about asking her!
    Have you ever written a biography about a still living person?

2. alancaster149 profile image76
    alancaster149posted 11 years ago

I've never done it myself, but you could try this:-
    1. Has she relatives or friends who know a lot about her? Usually grandparents, aunts and sisters are better at keeping tabs on family members.
    2. School friends - initiate the 'flow' by talking about your own school friends, and encouraging her to talk about hers. They'll fill in what you need to know. Fellow alumni from university might know more, and so on. What about former suitors, men friends? Some element of animosity might creep in, but it's all part of life.
    3. Ask a professional detective how they'd go about it. In the end, though, unless you're going to wait until you publish it posthumously, you've hot to let her know what you've done. you've also probably got to let her see it.
    4. Got nerves of iron? Go for it!

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

If I wanted to learn how to write biographies...

I'd go to the library and pick out 5 biographies of people that I'm interested in, dead or living. By the time I was done enjoying reading those five books, I'd have a pretty good idea as to how to go about it. smile

4. grand old lady profile image84
    grand old ladyposted 11 years ago

I think the first thing to do is to get to know her more fully, spend more time with her so that you can gain her friendship and trust. Try to discern her own reflections about her life, how she sees it all from a "looking back" perspective. As you learn more about you you will have an idea about how to tackle her life story, how to arrange her chapters, little things about her that make her interesting -- the jewelry she wears, etc. Then one day you can broach the idea of trying to write her life story together. She may want to write the chapters, and you can edit them. But find out what she wants, how she wants it done, etc.

I was supposed to do a biography but the main problem was that while I'd done books before, they were always ghost written. I wanted my byline on the book. But the first question I was asked was, "have you ever written a book before?" We met twice to talk about her book, but since then it's been on "hold." If you have no previous books you've written, you would have more of a chance gaining her trust and friendship first. Sharing one's life to a larger world is a big thing to a person. They need a strong arm to hug them as they speak, as well as a writer.to put down what they say.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)