What is your favorite non-fiction book?

1. ct92 profile image82
    ct92posted 3 years ago

I am sure that I am not the only one here who enjoys non-fiction.
    Normally I, of course, read non-fiction books about topics that interest me but I am looking to reading something new!

So shoot! What is your favorite non-fiction book (or books), and why? smile

2. bizarrett81 profile image79
    bizarrett81posted 3 years ago

I don't think I can pinpoint a favorite anything, but I really really enjoyed Stephen Kings "On Writing", a semi autobiographical story on the craft of writing.  As a huge King fan I enjoyed reading about his childhood and growing up and struggles of becoming a writer.  Its inspiring.  In the second half he gives advice on writing on everything from grammer to structure in a clever, Kingish way that has stuck wtth me forever.  I highly recommend it!!

3. Tusitala Tom profile image90
    Tusitala Tomposted 3 years ago

Quite frankly, around 95% of what I read nowadays  is non-fiction.  In fact, I generally only read fiction to improve my writing vocabulary.  For example, I've just started to read Rober Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island for about the fifth time over fifty years or so.   He was a noted 'wordsmith.'   Years ago I was into the great American writers such as Hemingway and John Steinbeck, but today it's non-fiction.

I have read widely over many subjects but over the past twenty or so years have learned heavily towards 'self-improvement' type books.   A few favourites are Pyscho-cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz, MD FICS,  The Act of Will by Roberto Assagioli, and The Power of Your Subconscious Mind by Dr. Joseph Murphy.   All of these I've read several times.