jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)

After a Rising Star accolade, what next?

1. ilscherzo profile image81
    ilscherzoposted 4 years ago

Has anybody had experiences with getting this? Afterwards, did it spur you on to do anything other than continue writing? After I got it, I decided to try for the Apprenticeship programme, to further improve myself. I'd like some advice on what more I can do.

Thanks!

1. AMFredenburg profile image80
      AMFredenburgposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Before Enlightenment, chop wood, carry water; after Enlightenment, chop wood, carry water.

1. JimTxMiller profile image76
        JimTxMillerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Write on!

ilscherzoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you. I shall do my best!

2. JimTxMiller profile image76

Accolades are nice, and I've collected two Rising Stars. That and five bucks still gets me an overpriced cup of coffee,

2. Mark Ewbie profile image83
    Mark Ewbieposted 4 years ago

I was here before Rising Stars when I think they called it HubNuggets.  I was nominated twice and came fourth out of five both times.

Sometimes, when I am sat by the side of the road with an empty whisky bottle, people will say "Why don't you do something with your life".  I repeat the story, mostly to their backs as they hurry away.  When I have finished shouting I return to my thoughts.

Fourth.

I still write the occasional sales page for incontinence products but my heart isn't really in it anymore.

That is interesting.

Well, your hubs appear highly interesting; keep writing! I'm glad to have found your work.

2. JimTxMiller profile image76

Don't mind Mark. He's just being an old stick in the mud!

Haha, no, I'm not offended or anything!

1. mattforte profile image93
          mattforteposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I didn't know what the HubNuggets (now rising stars) were until I was nominated. Winning it provided me with some early encouragement, akin to a kindergartner receiving a gold star. (Ironic, the accolade symbol no?)
          I would bet money that there is a stat somewhere that shows Rising Star winners (or even nominees) are more likely to continue to write - you creating this thread would just further this proof.

Work the Apprenticeship program. I still probably wouldn't be making payout every month if it weren't for my time in the program. But don't do it because you got some silly gold star, do it because you want to build your reputation as a writer, and earn some cashmonies.

edit: quoted the wrong post. *shrug*

I applied for the program already. Have yet to get a response.

working