jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Have you read any controversial Books?

1. ThompsonPen profile image84
    ThompsonPenposted 3 years ago

I came across a book which just looked absolutely fascinating to me. I certainly do not read according to any social stigma, however, the book itself was not for sale, and I couldn't bring myself to asking the clerk where I could find another, as I'm pretty sure it's out of print.
    What makes a book controversial, have you indulged in one?

1. larakern profile image85
      larakernposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Every great book is in some form controversial. Remember years ago when Harry Potter came out? It caused a huge uprising of parents who claimed the books encouraged their young, impressionable children that magic was okay. Catcher in the Rye was highly controversial when it came out. Personally, I believe that any book that pushes the boundaries of our comfortable little lives is controversial. What kills me is that libraries ban certain books because they're too "controversial" but wouldn't it be good for society if the boundaries were pushed once and a while? Children and adults need to be free to read whatever they want and form their own opinions about it.

2. Zelkiiro profile image84
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

All books are controversial to religious fundamentalists, because learning is sinful.

3. Radical Rog profile image85
    Radical Rogposted 3 years ago

All the best books are in some way controversial.