jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

What music do you prefer when you're writing?

1. ThompsonPen profile image83
    ThompsonPenposted 3 years ago

Today at work I found myself wanting some summery music on Pandora, and to my delight, after typing in "summer", the best phrase that could have suited my tastes popped up - "Summer hits from the 90s". While they are playing all the tunes I adore, this is very different than the music I listen to when I'm writing.
    And it depends what I'm writing. If I'm researching, I can't listen to anything. If I'm working on a novel, the music has to suit the genre.

1. A Thousand Words profile image81
      A Thousand Wordsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Usually Contemporary instrumental.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image95
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

Pretty much the same music I listen to when doing anything else - hard rock/metal and punk. Basically, anything with loud guitars and some 'tude.

ThompsonPenposted 3 years ago in reply to this

There are somethings I like to listen to that for, but more often than not, if there's lyrics I get distracted. I really enjoy listening to Russian Circles though when I'm writing. I find it really does quite hit the spot. There's something  - and I really HATE using this word, but it's fitting - epic about their sound. They tell a story through metal without lyrics, which is quite captivating. I came across them opening for Tool in Manchester.

3. elayne001 profile image47
    elayne001posted 3 years ago

Usually I type "easy listening" into I Heart Radio or other online radio and usually get my favs. It really helps with the writing. hard rock is distracting for me, but each to his own!

I could see that being a good idea. "easy listening" intimidates me though sometimes, as it makes me think of things like Celine Dion or Barbra Streisand (sp?), which don't generally suit my tastes. However, I really do enjoy the radio stations around here that have jazz from the 20's and 30's. There's something so calming and inspiring about that music, which I suppose also falls under the category of easy listening.

4. Zelkiiro profile image83
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

Anything from this to this. My Last.fm should give you a better idea:

5. To Start Again profile image84
    To Start Againposted 3 years ago

I find that I tend to come up with 'soundtracks' to my projects. When I'm listening to music, certain songs will speak to me and remind me of a project. I have playlists for everything I'm working on and even for some ideas I haven't started yet. The music gets the creative juices flowing and helps me to 'see' the story more clearly in my head. The type of music varies depending on what I'm working on smile

I agree, I do that too. I have a book that I am working on that is sci-fi and fantasy, a rather futuristic fantasy I suppose. And so I find that I listen to a lot of industrial music when I'm writing this, or melodic metal. Though when I am just writing fantasy, or the more "normal" sort, I like to stick to something classical, or something that would remind me of spring.

6. CroftRoan profile image88
    CroftRoanposted 3 years ago

I listen to anything that gets me in the mood for the kind of story I need to write. If it's up beat and has meaning behind it then I prefer it more. And despite being a huge country fan I almost never listen to it when I write.

7. kulewriter profile image83
    kulewriterposted 3 years ago

When I write or am doing research I prefer an eclectic mix from my itunes library.  That way my mood changes more as the music changes, a sort of cat chasing the dog thing.

Definitely, though, the best tunes are instrumentals, because lyrics and singers will either distract me to lose my trend of though or sway me to stop and listen to them, which is counter-productive.

8. swordsbane profile image60
    swordsbaneposted 3 years ago

It depends on what I'm writing, but I find there is a deep connection between my writing and my music tastes.  I usually create a "soundtrack" for everything I write.  It helps me keep my mind "in the zone".  Even something short usually gets a song or two.  I once created an entire character out of a song I happened to be listening to when I was writing.

1. kulewriter profile image83
      kulewriterposted 3 years ago in reply to this

THAT I completely understand!