jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)

Do you create a trailer for your books?

1. epbooks profile image86
    epbooksposted 4 years ago

I know many of the writers on hubpages are also independent authors and are either working on or have already published a book (or more).  Do you create trailers for your books?  And if so, have you found them to be helpful in promoting them?

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

No.  I decided that making one I would be proud of would be too expensive.  And I didn't want to make a tacky looking one.

3. lovebuglena profile image92
    lovebuglenaposted 4 years ago

Well, I did a video that introduces all my books. First I introduce myself, then do title of the book and then the book cover, repeat for each book. The background music is Kelly Clarkson's song Stronger.

And then I did a video solely for one of my books called Treasure (a poetic tale) where the video is for the first chapter of the book... So basically my background for the video is that of the front book cover image and then I have beautiful background music and each slide shocases a stanza from the first chapter.

epbooksposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That sounds really nice.  I think you are right - that videos aren't allowed, but it sounds wonderful!

4. lovebuglena profile image92
    lovebuglenaposted 4 years ago

It's hard to explain... But hope you got the idea. I'd post links here to the videos but not sure if allowed.

5. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I have, but I know they're not the greatest things in the world. I really don't think they've helped much. It could be the trailers aren't good enough to get people interested enough or they don't see them at all.

I like creating them, but like you, I'm not sure if they help at all.  I still make them, just in case!

1. profile image0
        sheilamyersposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Same here. You never know when someone will trip across one and say to themselves "I just can't live without reading that book".

Very true. And it's free to make one, so it's one more source of advertising.

1. profile image0

Free advertising is always a good thing for we indies!

Can't get enough! smile

2. psycheskinner profile image80
              psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I would add the caveat: free advertising that contributes to or does not detract from the buying motive...

I can also think of a time where a trailer full of stolen images and typos made me decide not to buy a book.  If they can't make a legal and high quality video, I am not taking my chances in a book....

It's a valid point.  For any publications, all images (and songs) should be legal. Some may not be aware of that fact, but they can get in a boatload of trouble for copyright infringement.

2. profile image0

I agree. That's one reason my video only shows my book cover and has no music. I don't want anyone stealing my hard work so I won't steal theirs.

I bought Music Creator and create my own music.  It takes some getting used to but it does the job!

1. profile image0

Cool! I'll have to look for that one.

6. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

I also took into account that as a prolific reader and constant web-surfer I can think of only one example where a book trailer contributed to my decision to buy a book.

You make a good point.  I've only watched one trailer for a traditionally published author because I happened to come across it on their website. I'm not sure I would've watched it otherwise.

1. psycheskinner profile image80
        psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

On the other hand if you have the skill set to make them (which I don't), well... nothing ventured nothing gained.

I make them when I can.  There's still a few of my books that don't have them.

working