jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Have you noticed any difference in yourself.

1. Eiddwen profile image67
    Eiddwenposted 3 years ago

Since joining HubPages a good while ago now my writing has been a therapy from heart-breaking issues in my life.
    Today I know and feel that I am healing since my daughter Erin's passing but not just this I have grown as a person and a writer.
    I understand myself / I know who I am and my self confidence also thrives.I am now asking anyone out there if there are any changes you have noticed about yourself through your writing.

1. New Understanding profile image87
      New Understandingposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hi Eddy.  Yes, I've only been posting for a few months and I didn't know if it would be a right fit for me or not and I wasn't sure what I'd write about.  But I have found that I LOVE to write and have had great feedback from family and friends, never knowing I had a flair for it.  Also, as I've continued to write I've found I'm developing a niche, which is empowering others and has empowered me as well which is very fulfilling

2. Bob Bamberg profile image90
    Bob Bambergposted 3 years ago

Good question, Eddy.  It makes us do a little soul-searching.  My writing hasn't made a profound difference in me as has yours, but the change I have noticed has been since joining HP almost a year ago. 

I've been writing an animal-related newspaper column since 1995 and about the only feedback I get is from readers who recognize me in public and feel it necessary to flatter me.  Since I've been publishing hubs, I've gotten feedback from some very knowledgeable and helpful people from all over the world.  Some of it flattering, some of it critical...and all of it welcomed and appreciated.

Now when I write, my thoughts often turn to speculation about how fellow hubbers might react.  I find that when I anticipate reaction, it causes me to choose my words more carefully, strive to offer more detail when appropriate, or leave out stuff that I wouldn't have otherwise considered extraneous.

My writing is usually from the perspective of a reporter, attempting to offer interesting, entertaining and informative articles based on my research, not necessarily my experiences.  The relationships I've developed with other hubbers nudges me to go a little broader in researching my facts, and to strive more for entertainment value in addition to informational value. 

As I've aged, I've noticed that I've become far more patient, tolerant and thoughtful.  A lot of older people say that, so I'm not sure how much to attribute to aging and how much to attribute to the changes I've gone through relative to my writing.  But I think both have everything to do with it.

Your question should result in a most interesting comment thread.  Warmest regards, Bob

Eiddwenposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thank you so much for this great reply Bob ; I found your words very interesting .Especially
      " As I've aged, I've noticed that I've become far more patient, tolerant and thoughtful.  A lot of older people say that, so I'm not sure how much to attribute to aging and how much to attribute to the changes I've gone through relative to my writing.  But I think both have everything to do with it."
      I think you are probably correct Bob and it is a bit of both. I also love any feedback to my writing; constructive criticism is also so useful. I mull it  over  a little in my mind and if it makes sense to me then I will follow and if I think it will be useful for me then I take it on board.
      Thank you again Bob an will hunt you out on HubPages also..
      Enjoy your day.

2. 0
      Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Im so very sorry for your loss Eiddwen. Im sure writing is therapeutic in many ways.
      I think it's good to get our thoughts on paper. It helps us to clarify our feelings, it helps us see our issues and ourselves possibly from a new perspective as we read back on where we were. It also helps others who have similar struggles to those we have. It helps us focus on a task rather than just the emotions. We get feedback from others which can be constructive... It's a good tool in most every way. I believe we are changed in many ways for the effort. smile

Thank you so much Beth and yes so many of us are going to be kindred minds here I think.
        Like you I also wonder what my friends on HubPages will think of my latest hub.
        I also said (if you've read this bit before simply ignore )that it was impossible to make friends online. I can tell you today that I have never been more wrong . I am not a person to run into  houses for a cuppa and a chinwag everyday. However when I do make friends they mean the world to me and this is what I feel foir my wonderful friends on here. I feel we know each other  better due to sharing poetry etc. I know that I am not half aspen with people around me as I am with all of you my treasured friends  on here. I agree with you that we are changed in many ways for the effort we give and also for the freedom we gain.
        Thank you again Beth for stopping by and enjoy your day.

1. 0
          Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

a cuppa and a chinwag... lol... you are British?
          There was a time where my only friends were online. I had withdrawn from the world completely. I ended up meeting a few of these friends in real life and had a wonderful time. I was so grateful for them at the time and still keep in contact. Having a family, I find it very difficult to go out with ppl. The ppl I work with ask me out all the time, but they are in their 20's for the most part... They don't understand that the 2 nights off you have a week need to be spent with your kids, but online, you can usually find ppl to chat with. Of course, this is just the forum, the opportunity to actually share the deep parts of yourself, you seldom get a chance to do with anyone. It's funny how strangers will facilitate that more than friends or family. smile

3. Seafarer Mama profile image87
    Seafarer Mamaposted 3 years ago

This is an important question, Eiddwen. I'm so glad that you have found healing in writing, and comfort through contributing to Hub Pages.  You sure have touched many with your heartfelt poetry, and that can only reflect back to you the generosity of spirit that you have given to others.

I believe that my writing style has grown with each hub I have published. It's great to know when others have found it useful or that they relate to what I have written.  My ideas for helpful, fun hubs have multiplied since I have begun contributing almost 4 years ago. If we keep working on our craft, it is bound to grow from the loving attention we give it. :0)  Working with editors on writing a book helped me, as did engaging in a 30-hubs-in-30-days challenge.

It is great to know that others are also finding our work helpful I agree and also your comment about how your writing style has grown well I can only agree with you here also. A couple of weeks ago I cam across some poems/articles of when I first joined HubPages and I cringed as I gave the poems a quick read!!!  Oh dearie me I know for sure that yes I have also grown in this way!!!
      Thank you Seafarer Mama for your wonderful reply and here's to so many more hubs for us both to share on here.
      Enjoy your day.

4. tillsontitan profile image90
    tillsontitanposted 3 years ago

Changes occur everyday and since joining Hub Pages I see more within myself.  I find that I look forward to reading the hubs of my 'friends' on HP and seeing what they have to say.  It is like sharing their lives and their personalities.  Friends I have made that are just as true as the ones that I see all the time.
    Then there is, of course, my own writing.  I find that sometimes when I'm writing I wonder what my friends on HP will think.  Will they like it?  Will it help them in any way?
    Lastly there is the comments.  I love reading the comments from my friends and from all the readers of my hubs.  It gives me a personal connection to them and a little more insight into their personalities as well as my own.  It is such a personal experience.
    As we pass each day we know that our HP friends are there for us, as we are for them.  Truly a moving experiene every day!
    Sending hugs and angels your way.

5. daydreamer13 profile image61
    daydreamer13posted 3 years ago

I think it would scary if I didn't. People need to grow and learn and change. Good question.

6. Zelkiiro profile image85
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

Nope. Now I just have an outlet to finally talk about the stuff I'm interested in, and that's about it.

7. janetwrites profile image84
    janetwritesposted 3 years ago

I have been interested in writing since I was able to write but I have never published anything before I joined HubPages and the other writing sites I write for. Yes, It has changed me. Before starting to write for the public I felt that there was something missing - something I have a passion for, something that would be just me apart from my family, something I own myself. Now I feel more content and fulfilled. Since I started writing my chronic allergies and food intolerances have also become better. Yes, I would agree that writing has a therapeutic effect. I'm so glad I can write both in German and English. So I have so much variety in what I can write about. To write in a language that is not my native one is a challenge and is good for my brain. I'm very happy to be able to write on HubPages. I would never miss it anymore.