jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

WRITING is a CRAFT not an ART?

1. Kain 360 profile image86
    Kain 360posted 2 years ago

I got a fortune cookie that said this and thought it was odd because it pertains to me.

What does that mean? Anybody understand this?

2. janshares profile image86
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

A craft takes specific skills, rules, and standards to follow. Art is very subjective in its presentation, without rules. Maybe writing can be both. Grammar, spelling, syntax, etc. is the craft while putting words together creatively with feeling, tone, and voice constitutes the art of writing. I dunno. Just thought your question was interesting.

1. Kain 360 profile image86
      Kain 360posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Perhaps your right.

Poetry and stories would be kind of like an art.

2. artsandlearning profile image59
      artsandlearningposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Writing is both art & craft. I would like to say that every art is also a craft; make writing really just an art. This is not to say that all pieces of writing are art!   

3. amiebutchko profile image93
    amiebutchkoposted 2 years ago

I think it means that like so much of everything else, good writing has an element of technique for most people.  Good principles of writing are learned.  They are a skill that needs to be honed.  I do feel there are some natural writers, writers that have art in their blood, but for most, good writing must be business, or a means of making a living.  This kind of writing must be constantly studied and updated to be relevant and lucrative.  Especially pertinent for writing today, as internet writing is certainly more of a skill than an art.  SEO is learned and needed and internet writing is direct, clear and as colloquial as possible.

4. sujaya venkatesh profile image50
    sujaya venkateshposted 2 years ago

depends on the subject?!