jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Flash Fiction??

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image89
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

I have to admit to being an old fogey, and not being familiar with this new term, or genre.
    I've read a couple of such pieces here on HP, and to me, they seem like someone started to write a novel or short story, and couldn't figure out where to go with it next; they just sort of end, leaving you hanging, wondering, "Well, what happened next?  Is there more?"

I'm afraid I don't get it...  sad

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
      paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I've written a couple of those here. And they even have endings. big_smile

The bad news? Zero traffic. And pretty sure that would be the case no matter where I posted them.

2. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 2 years ago

Since I prefer to read well-crafted solid stories extending to at least 200 pages, but preferably far, far more, I'm afraid I don't get this flash thing either.

3. Theophanes profile image96
    Theophanesposted 2 years ago

Flash fiction is one of those things... in the right hands it can be mind blowing... however its sort of like poetry, you have to sift through a lot of terrible material before you get a good one. Personally I would write terrible flash fiction. I love taking the slow path... but I do think flash fiction is a sign of the times. In an era of ADD where no one has the time to read anything longer than a tweet it somehow works.

4. brakel2 profile image88
    brakel2posted 2 years ago

There are  good writers of flash fiction on this site. I hesitate to name them, as I may leave someone out. The difficulty makes some pieces unsuccessful.

5. Nellieanna profile image84
    Nellieannaposted 2 years ago

I'm afraid I must confess to old-fogeyism, also.

6. tillsontitan profile image89
    tillsontitanposted 2 years ago

Flash fiction is like any other fiction, the way it goes depends on the writer.  I have read some great flash fiction that contained so much story in such a short space I was amazed!  I couldn't figure out how they could get so much detail and get the reader involved in such a few words.  Some of those writers included Frank Atanacio, Ghaelach, and cam8510 to name just a few.  I apologize to those wonderful FF writers I didn't name but space prohibits naming all of you.  This is just a tiny, tiny representation.
    Like any other writing it can be an acquired taste and it is up to the reader to decide whether he likes his suspense short and sweet or long and thorny.  And like any writing, it is up to the author to make it good reading.