jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

How much should a freelance writer charge for their work?

1. NateB11 profile image92
    NateB11posted 2 years ago

Let's say you are wanting to start doing independent freelance writing for private clients. How much should you charge? Also, should you charge by the hour, by the article, both? I'm assuming too, you have to put together a portfolio; web articles, websites, other freelance work you've done. What should be included in your resume? Can you include other freelance work you've done? Doesn't have your name on it, you sold it. Seems it could still be included.

1. Hunbbel Meer profile image92
      Hunbbel Meerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

There are many factors that decide the final rate: your experience, quality, niche, time-frame, number of words, etc.

A good idea is to:

1. Calculate your hourly rates
      2. Calculate the total number of hours that you expect an article will require
      3. Then multiply both and come up with the final charges

It is up to you to charge on an hourly basis or the per-article price. Most freelancers prefer the fixed-price method.

You will have to set up a portfolio that shows your past work. About including the work that you have sold, it depends on the condition of the agreement you had.

If you and your previous client had agreed that it was a ghostwriting project, then you can't include that in your portfolio. A ghostwriting project simply means when you relinquish all your rights to that piece of content, and that it has been published under someone else's name.

If you want further guidance, I am starting a blog from next Monday that will have all the tips and tutorials you need to be a successful freelance writer. Check it out after Monday at writingdock.com

1. NateB11 profile image92
        NateB11posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for that very detailed and informative response. You have given me thorough and valuable information. I'll be checking out your blog.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Print work works MUCH differently than article writing online. Many pay scales are on a per-word basis. A dollar per word is fairly standard. I don't include any of my online work in my portfolio. I think tear sheets are much more suitable to the publishing business.

Seldom do I even use a resume.

You also need to remember that there are LOTS more writing jobs out there than magazine/newspaper type jobs. Online writing is the absolute bottom of the barrel as far as pay-rates.