jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)

Quotes: how much (wording) is allowed in a hub?

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years ago

I like to add quotes to some of my hubs to enhance/support my content. What percentage of the hub (or capsule) can be dedicated to a quote?

1. RachaelOhalloran profile image89
      RachaelOhalloranposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Fair use is up to 300 words. In quotes, there is no limit as long as you are not quoting ever single quote the person ever made!  Proper attribution doesn't require a LIVE link, just the name and the website where you found it listed in your description box if using a picture quote.  If just the actual wording, just the author name and the website name like this:
      Mark Twain, Brainy Quotes.

Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thank you, Rachael. Is this in the HP requirements or standards?  I should have looked in FAQ and Learning Center first, but forgot -- I am working on a hub and want to use some quotes and just blurted out the question without checking first, for shame on me. Thank you for replying so quickly. smile

No, it is in the copyright laws of the US in regard to fair use of quotes.  You can check out any of my copyright hubs which have links so you can verify and not take my word for it.  Even if you are not in the US, the Berne Convention and European Union (EU) follow the same protocol. Good luck on your hub.

Thanks for the info, Rachael. This is very helpful.

You are welcome

2. The Examiner-1 profile image82
    The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago

I have written occasional Hubs between 1250 - 2000. I have heard o Hubs that go to 5000 and I am sure there are ones which use more. In LC/FAQ it tells us that about 750 is the minimum allowed.
    You can link to quotes if you think they are too long.

Hi Kevin. I meant how long can a quote be, not the entire hub. I think I read somewhere that a quote should not be more than 5% of the hub or the capsule it is in -- I just do not remember where I saw that or if my memory is correct.  (usually my memory is on vacation lately, hahahaha)

1. The Examiner-1 profile image82
        The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Sorry Phyllis, I misread/misunderstood the question.

That is no problem, Kevin. I appreciate your participating. Have a great day.  smile

working