jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (23 posts)

What are some of your favorite names and why?

1. Sed-me profile image84
    Sed-meposted 2 years ago

I love the name Moira and always have. I love the sound of it. Being an American you think someone's gonna say Myra, and then boom! they switch the sound on you mid word. It's an enjoyable name.

1. Nancy Hardin profile image60
      Nancy Hardinposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Have you ever researched your own name? I have and it was fun and enlightening. In fact I did write a hub about it, but of course won't post it here. But the fun of it was learning that my name is fairly common all over the world, even though it's sometimes pronounced a bit different. And that there's an art glass factory that carries my name, but only because it's the name of the village in France where it's located. All sorts of fun facts made my day while writing the piece. You should try it some time.

Sed-meposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I have never done a formal study like thing, but I have read several times that Beth means "house" (I hope it doesn't stand for "as big as a...") But it basically is House of God or also, God is my oath. I like these very much though "House of God" is very sobering and I'd like to dwell on that quite a bit more.

Your name apparently means, "grace" is that right?

1. Nancy Hardin profile image60
          Nancy Hardinposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yes Sed-me, "grace" is what my name means. Beth, meaning House of God is sobering, isn't it? But then, it's a shortened version of Elizabelth, from the Hebrew Elishaba. I think names and their origins are so interesting. I also had my name in actual Hebrew on my page, but it was evidently deleted, I guess for PC reasons? Yochanan is my Hebrew name in our language.

Yes, very sobering. I love that you know your Hebrew name.

2. 0
    Motown2Chitownposted 2 years ago

Wanna hear how boring I am?

My favorite female names are Catherine, Anne, Elizabeth, and Miriam.

Male names are Michael, Christopher, and Nicholas.

I'm so old fashioned...lol

The actress, Moira Kelly played Dorothy Day (one of my favorite people) in a biopic called "Entertaining Angels." You might like it. smile

Those are good names. I love Irish names too... really anything Irish. What's this thread about? Oh yeah...

I like those manly names for men... Jacob (Jake), Jonah, Will... all good names. I love both my son's names, but I wont share them here. smile

1. 0
        Motown2Chitownposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I like Jacob too. smile

The name Anne means full of grace. I always wanted an Annabella...graceful beauty. I'm very into the meanings of names. My sadness is that so many wonderful names have become so common. They've sort of lost their shine. Liam is a wonderful name, I think. I like Irish names too. Erin is a wonderful name. This is, believe it or not, one of my favorite topics.

smile

Mason, Daniel, Emily, Benjamen, Chloe, Zoe, Christian, Penelope... good ones.
          I like fun ones too... I know the stars name their kids some stupid names, but Gwyneth Paltrow named her kid Apple and I actually think it's kinda cute.

3. Aime F profile image84
    Aime Fposted 2 years ago

Female: Imogen, Abigail, Anna, Ivy

Male: Ezra, Oliver, Oscar, Alfie

I seem to be into old-fashioned vowel names...

I like those. Imogene and Oliver... good ones.

What about Fiona? I know it's Shreky, but man that's a good name.

1. 0

I like it...and I loved Shrek. smile  I don't particularly care for this one, but there is an actress named Fionnula (yikes) Flannagan.

You know a name that I really like? Winston. Because of Churchill, it always conjures an image of fortitude.

I had the funniest dream about Lord Farquaad. My friends at work were dying when I told them, and they made me keep telling ppl the story for weeks to come. It was so odd.

1. 0

He's one of my favorites, although the best ever villain prince is Humperdinck, of course. smile You'll have to share the dream when you can. I'm always interested in crazy dreams.

It contains a British accent so I'm not sure it would translate here to be quite as funny.
              I do believe it was influenced by our debates here on HPs. smile

2. Mel92114 profile image60
        Mel92114posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Fiona is a name that I've always loved and the one I was going to list here! It's just so British to me, I so love the British. Wow, Beth...you're in my head...better wear a helmet! big_smile

I love the name Elfie as well. I don't know why really, it just has a friendly, pleasant vibe to it that makes me smile smile

Gypsy. Yes, Gypsy. I heard this name called out in the doc's office this past week and hey, I like it!

Elfie, Ive never heard that.

Izzy... I like Izzy... that reminds me of the Grey's Anatomy girl... Her bf on the show is, Im pretty sure, the most handsome actor... ever.

This guy
          http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11886694_f1024.jpg

I am thinking if I were 16, I would have his poster on my wall... Im pretty sure he has a name.

1. Mel92114 profile image60

He sure is purrdy. I don't know his name either. Purdy suits him fine, I think and oddly enough when trying to call him Purdy to describe him as lovely with my country bumpkin accent, the mysterious "it" that corrects grammar and such capitalizes it. Coincidence? I think not!

You mentioned (or someone did) Gwyneth. I like that name very much.

Ok, back on track!

Yes, British names are good.

Did you ever know anyone with a funny nickname worth mentioning?

1. Mel92114 profile image60

Yes. I know a "Bird", a "Chunk" like on 'The Goonies', and a "Buttermilk".  I'm sure I know more but drawing blanks.

Buttermilk... haha. That's cute.

4. Aime F profile image84
    Aime Fposted 2 years ago

That would be Jeffrey Dean Morgan. He is indeed alarmingly attractive.

Though, if you were 16, he might be just a tad old for you. wink

It's like God just had all this left over good stuff and he threw it in to like... 5 different ppl.
      Alarming... good word.

working