jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Writers' Magazines

1. Arachnea profile image85
    Arachneaposted 2 years ago

I enjoy curling up to read a magazine with a focus on writing. I recently received the November/December issue of Writer's Digest and was pleased to see the first page. It lists about seven available freelance markets for which there is an abundant need. My favorite of the writers' magazines though, is Writers' Forum. To me it is the best of the magazines on the market for my interests and focus on the subject. Do you have a preferred writers's magazine? Do you enjoy reading them?

1. Victoria Lynn profile image89
      Victoria Lynnposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I get Writer's Digest but never have time (or take the time) to read it. I finally went digital for half the price; plus, there are reference materials I can supposedly look up. So Writers' Forum is better? Maybe I'll try it. Maybe it will grab my attention better. :-)

2. Richard-Bivins profile image88
      Richard-Bivinsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The New Yorker, The Atlantic, Harper's, and The Writer.  The first 3 are literary mags and the last one is more like WD.  I've submitted to each of these mags but no bites yet.

3. lawrence01 profile image90
      lawrence01posted 2 years ago in reply to this

One that I enjoy (and is online) is faithwriters. I haven't done anything with the site for a while but their weekly newsletter is really good and encouraging for me

2. Lionrhod profile image93
    Lionrhodposted 2 years ago

I love Writer's Digest, but sadly in later years I've found fewer articles per issue that strike my interest. (LOL I've been a subscriber for 30 + years.) Right now my first go-to when I open the magazine is Reject a Hit.

The Writer is also excellent, or at least was when I was younger. Haven't had a recent copy in a long time so I'd be interested to find out if it still exists and what it's doing lately.

3. CatherineGiordano profile image94
    CatherineGiordanoposted 2 years ago

I like Writer's Digest.  I subscribe and read it cover to cover.  Except sine I started HubPages, I don't have time to read.

4. Jodah profile image85
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

An online site I like is Winning Writer. It lists upcoming writing contests etc and also puts out a newsletter regularly.

5. Fiorenza profile image81
    Fiorenzaposted 2 years ago

Don't know if the UK Writer's Forum is the same mag as the US version. Personally I find Writing Magazine, which incorporates Writer's News, more useful as it has a lot of info on markets and competitions.

1. Arachnea profile image85
      Arachneaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That's the one, Fiorenza. There's only one place in town I can get it. There's not an American version that I'm aware of.

6. Fiorenza profile image81
    Fiorenzaposted 2 years ago

OK, sorry for the confusion Arachnea; I thought you were posting from the States!

Anyway, occasionally there is the odd useful article in Writers' Forum but I find it a bit hit and miss.  I don't know if you noticed but in the summer two issues following each other had the same editorial, news snippets and letters pages, yet they did not apologise for that in the third issue unless I missed it. About 5 or 6 pages were identical in both issues, obviously a mistake.