jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

A Writers Definition ?

1. ahorseback profile image47
    ahorsebackposted 2 years ago

How hard is it to call yourself a writer ,  a poet , or an author ?  Or are we just all bloggers ?

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Definition of an author is one who has originated/created written work.   I create articles, prose, poetry, creative stories. Therefore, I am an author/writer/poet and proud of it.

HubPages is not a blog. The word blogger derived from the word weblog - which was a way to log posts into a journal-like site on the web, sort of like a public diary.  I am a blogger only when I post things on my blog.

2. Cardisa profile image92
      Cardisaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I have always called myself a writer, since I was a child. I don't consider myself anything else. For me, blogging is just a method I use to publish what I write.

2. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

If you mean for writing on hub pages that is not a blog, I would call it content writing. I am also an author but not many situations arise where I feel the need to proclaim that to anyone.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image83
      Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago in reply to this

...until you are published you are not an author. Thats all I know.

If you have been published, I would certainly brag about it. Why not?

"blog |bl├Ąg| noun
      a personal website or web page on which an individual records opinions, links to other sites, etc. on a regular basis." D

1. psycheskinner profile image81
        psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

In conventional use that is often the line, per dictionary definition not so much.  But yes I have 5 paperback published books and about 20 ebooks.  Still how often would I need to say "I am an author"?  I can't remember an occasion where that came up.  If I am telling someone about my book what I am describing is normally the book.  And it is normally because they have some potential interest in it rather than because I want to boast about it--pretty much like any other professional activity.

And hubpages itself says they are not a blog specifically because the content should not be personal ruminations and reflections but magazine style articles--also it lacks the chronologically sequential organization..

2. Cardisa profile image92
      Cardisaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You should brag about it. I remember last year someone disrespecting you about your writing and that angered me. You are a writer and an author, you need to let the world know about it.

1. psycheskinner profile image81
        psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

But you see, I just don't feel the need or desire to. And living a fairly unencumbered and satisfyingly arranged life as I do, I rarely do things I don't want to do. Other, I suppose, than mentioning it in the first place given that this is my "content writing" name.

3. jhamann profile image87
    jhamannposted 2 years ago

I don't know how to define myself, I know I am a father and husband and work in the Sciences but probably not a scientist and I cannot stop writing.  I love poetry and write an awful lot of it, am I a poet, maybe.  Who knows, either way I will keep writing.

4. ahorseback profile image47
    ahorsebackposted 2 years ago

Cardisa is right !  I have not published a book although the desire is there ,  I love to write poetry and short stories , yet publically introducing  real  self  is kind of scary . Yet , are we not "writers "if we have  almost a thousand "Hubs"?

working