jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Ready to jump. Is writing really dead?

1. CamLewis1 profile image80
    CamLewis1posted 21 months ago

As a kid, while everyone else was dreaming about, being an astronaut, or a fireman or some other heroic profession, I wanted to be a writer.  A novelist to be precise. I imagined myself, tapping away at keys, pausing for a swig of bourbon, as the unfinished yarn before me knitted into a timeless classic. I have yet to complete a novel, though I have started several over the years. In a few years I will be forty years old and I am scared out of my wits, as the only thing that has manifested from my dreams is the drinking. Loads of fun,especially when I am falling down the stairs or waking up on the front lawn,but honestly, I would rather be on a book tour. Can anyone offer any advice?  And is it even worth it to write a novel, when no one around seems to be able to read anything more than butchered words in a text message? Thank you
    Please check out some of my work, and let me know what you think.
    <link snipped>

2. ahorseback profile image55
    ahorsebackposted 21 months ago

Of course its worth it !  You'll never watch  or read anything in life ,  a movie , a famous novel ,  a play  a  talking politician, a speech by a  CEO that wasn't written down on paper first !  Keep on keepin on !

3. CamLewis1 profile image80
    CamLewis1posted 21 months ago

Thank you

4. Nastya Bronnikova profile image61
    Nastya Bronnikovaposted 21 months ago

CamLewis, don't forget we're having this conversation on a site that exists solely because there are people eager to write, polish, read, review and dicsuss texts just for the fun of it. If that's not the proof that reader culture is still alive and kicking, then I don't know what is!

I hope you manage to finish some of the novels you started. It always feels like a huge accomplishment to have something complete on your hands and it gives you a chance to move forward instead of being stuck in a state of uncertainty. Best of luck!