jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

How in the world am I so freaking unpopular!?

1. foemeno profile image24
    foemenoposted 20 months ago

I just blasted two "poets" that are extremely popular for essentially not having an ounce of creativity in them let alone the work ethic necessary to be truly successful.
    I make myself ill trying to perfect my craft and give the audience the most visceral content when I should be hitting myself in the head with a brick a few hundred times just so I can eat.
    After two grueling years of getting practically no credit I feel like cursing at people and getting kicked off. Kanye West has nothing on my frustration, we are complete polar opposites in terms of talent and money.

1. Cardisa profile image90
      Cardisaposted 20 months ago in reply to this

Why would you do that to another fellow poet? Perhaps your unpopularity has to do with your personality rather than your talent. "Blasting" others says a lot about you. Sorry for being so blunt.

2. jhamann profile image88
      jhamannposted 20 months ago in reply to this

I suggest reading the current "Poets Market" and reading it from cover to cover and following their instructions.  You need to diversify, find a group of poets to communicate friendly communication with, blanket your shit all over the country to as many different publications and possible, let the world know you rock by working really hard at the selling of you.

3. psycheskinner profile image80
      psycheskinnerposted 20 months ago in reply to this

If what you have been trying has not worked, try something new.

You goals are your goals, don;t worry about what other artists are doing.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image85
    Kathleen Cochranposted 20 months ago

Cardisa, You probably said what needs to me said.  In writing, more than in any other field, you can not measure your worth against any other writer.  Poet: Only you have your voice.  Keep using it.

3. keyenhancer profile image80
    keyenhancerposted 20 months ago

I know your frustration to a point. But in this day in age competition is more fierce than ever. If you ever watch youtube very much you'll find thousands of immensely talented people who receives recognition from a few passerby on the streets. Most of whom are homeless or struggling. I always secretly hope that a talent scout will see the video, locate said artist and offer them a contract. Does that happen? I don't really know. One thing I do know is that you cannot do what you do for recognition or money. Those need to be in second place. A bonus, if you will. No, the reason needs to be a passion from within, for yourself or your God (if you believe in one) or even a loved one. Look at what happens when celebrities rely upon their fame and money and stop worrying about performing for something they believe in. Their abilities to perform suffer because fame and money are hollow. You know, I'm a biblical person and I am often reminded of the many men of God who waited decades to receive what they sought after. Even more recently there are dozens of examples of people who received zero recognition for years, some even decades, before suddenly exploding into a pop-culture phenomenon.  Anyways man, don't give up. Keep up the work and do it for something you truly believe in.