jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Writers on the Web should not use overly long paragraphs.

1. Don Bobbitt profile image93
    Don Bobbittposted 20 months ago

I just finished reading a great Hub. But, it was around 1500 words and several paragraphs were 300-400 words long.
    Gone are the days of saving typewriter paper. Open your articles up with plenty of "White Space". White Space is FREE! Writers need to make their articles easily readable.

1. 76
      DannoManposted 20 months ago in reply to this

I agree with you for most Internet situations. But to say this so categorically may be overstating the case. Writers must write specifically for their intended audience, this is certain. But not all audiences are limited in the same ways, requiring spacing and limitation of paragraph word count. I just moments ago submitted a response to another hub in which I wrote four paragraphs of 97, 111, 63, and 103 words. I just went back and counted. I had no intention at the time to tailor a specific word count. It just felt right and natural the way I broke it up. But if I had been posting this as a blog for a client I would have had to take into consideration that client's typical formatting requirements. On sites dedicated to far more academic writing, the longer paragraphs are welcome and in many cases even expected.

1. kj force profile image75
        kj forceposted 20 months ago in reply to this

Not only should the articles be shorter....but...not repetitive....(perhaps a glitch in posting ?)

2. rfmoran profile image92
      rfmoranposted 20 months ago in reply to this

So true. Long paragraphs are incompatible with the Internet age. Even on paper, writers should avoid long paragraphs. Make it easier on the reader.