jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)

How often do you read?

1. enamateur profile image82
    enamateurposted 17 months ago

I just want an idea of how often you read, how long do you read, and what kind of books/writing interests you the most. But being that this is the "Books, Literature, and Writing" section, most people here probably read more than the average person.

Also, how much do you think the average person reads?

1. Jodah profile image87
      Jodahposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Reading the hubs of other hubbers I follow takes up a good two hours per day. On top of this I try to read at least one fiction novel every two months. Usually I can fit this in in bed at night or when I wake in the morning. I will read hubs on almost any topic if written by my friends, but as far as books, fiction is my preferred recreational read.

2. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Over the past sixteen years most of my reading was reading for information. Today, I still read with one of those techniques called chunking. I scan for an interest or a specific and then read with intensity.

I am seeking to read novels once again. I use to read novels much more before those sixteen years. The difference of reading style affected being able to enjoy a book of length. My hope is that will change.

However, that does not answer the question. Today I read both that which I did compose and that composed by others. I spend probably 4 - 6 hours a day writing. So, that is probably split between rereading and writing. A fault of mine is being wordy said with a giggle + giggle or a LOL. I am seeking to learn editing while improve my writing. 

Then I read articles for information researching what I am writing about. I may spend 2 - 3 hours doing outside reading. I simply have not measured, so I dun'no . . . That means I spend probably near to 5 hours a day reading. I still desire to read novels again.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image83
      The Examiner-1posted 17 months ago in reply to this

If I have the time I usually read every day. I usually read a either an hour - or a chapter - of a fiction book; it is before bedtime so I might get too sleepy to go that far. Throughout the day, at times, I read bits of non-fiction books.

I have no guess how much a person reads, it all depends on the person, how they were raised, etc.

4. Franklin McKinley profile image77
      Franklin McKinleyposted 16 months ago in reply to this

I read every week around 500 pages, maybe more or less. I write a lot too, so I read what I write.
      But as far as how much one reads, I would be just guessing.  It is a very good question, with all the video gamers, picture gazers and people texting with symbols instead of words make it even harder.

2. Pawan Singh Negi profile image80
    Pawan Singh Negiposted 17 months ago

Actually i found education books are the best to make me sleep anytime. tongue

1. Hicks Days profile image61
      Hicks Daysposted 17 months ago in reply to this

count me in lol

3. Thelma Alberts profile image82
    Thelma Albertsposted 17 months ago

I read everyday online for a few hours and before going to bed.

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image85
    Kathleen Cochranposted 17 months ago

I read every night before I go to sleep.  It relaxes me.  As a writer, I think reading is necessary to learn my craft.  I restrict my reading to bedtime because if I read during the day I would never get anything done.

I read nonfiction usually about social issues or biographies.  I'm fascinated by how people get to where they are from where they begin.  I read fiction for entertainment and for the joy of reading good work.  I like to read the first works of writers who have "made it." to track their development.  (For the record, I think "Outlander"  is the best of Gabaldon's series - it's the first one.

I hear hubbers say they don't read, don't see why they need to, yada, yada, yada.  Fine.  Their choice.  But also their loss as writers.

5. Chriswillman90 profile image90
    Chriswillman90posted 17 months ago

Well I'm constantly reading online but I've missed reading a good, physical book. It'll always be a different experience from an e-book or other digital media.

6. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 17 months ago

I am on my 12th or 13th book this year already (I lost count)... I read a lot of non fiction, mostly biographies of people I admire as well as books about films/music... anything that can give me some new useless knowledge/trivia wink

7. word55 profile image81
    word55posted 17 months ago

I usually read inspirational stories, the Bible (scriptures) and of course Hub Pages daily. Reading is so good for us. It keeps the mind stimulated. I read about 2.5 to 3 hours per day. I would imagine that others must read as much as I do if not more.

8. Bedbugabscond profile image89
    Bedbugabscondposted 17 months ago

I had not picked up a physical book in years, but recently I have been reading a philosophy book. I like fantasy, and I'm thinking that will be the next genre I read.

9. Miranda Melgar profile image61
    Miranda Melgarposted 17 months ago

i read most of the time since there's nothing t do yet.
    But if i got school. i read before i go to sleep until im sleepy smile best way to make you fall asleep.

10. AOkay12 profile image84
    AOkay12posted 17 months ago

I read a book on average, about one per month.  That's way down from times that I would read about 2-3 books per week.  Most of my reading is done from the internet.  Lately, I have been purchasing more and more ebooks.

11. 61
    Netty netposted 16 months ago

I read a little every day; I also write down what I read.  I read books magazie news paper my kindle and so forth  I try to read a little of everything.