jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Self Publishing

1. Oka Benard Osahon profile image60
    Oka Benard Osahonposted 2 years ago

Publishing in Nigeria is a difficult task to embark on. The climate has undernourished the inspiration to write, rather we have businessmen-writers, who own their own printing press, write books, get them approved by the education board and market the books to schools themselves. That is quite a task for someone like myself, who just wants to write.
    I have tried several times to contact the popular publishing firms but I have discovered to my disappointment that they do not care about the content, marketability and usefulness of my workk but all they ask for is an upfront payment to publish my work. They do not do this to already published, known, renowned and award winning authors, but those of us just starting up.
    I have been,for a while now, posting my works on poetry submission sites, facebook, my blog and such. I have in this process come across several self publishing sites e.g. Lulu, blurb, createspace etc. Should I use this medium to put my work out there? If I do, what should I expect?

2. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

Genuine publishers do not charge fees.  If there is a lack of this type of publisher in Nigeria, submit your work to publishers in other countries.  Just be sure to have a fully professional query and at least three completed chapters (for non-fiction) or a completed manuscript (for fiction or memoir).

3. Oka Benard Osahon profile image60

ok. Do you have any good ideas on publishing firms? I write mainly poetry. I have started submitting to Literary journals and magazines, is this a good idea? Do you have any other suggestion?

4. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

Poetry is always hard to get published.  To interest a good publisher in a collection it is a very good idea to have had individual poems accepted by literary journals in good standing and/or multi-author collections from the same publisher.

5. Oka Benard Osahon profile image60

thanks Psycheskinner

working