jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Please help me with english sentences

1. soft365 profile image73
    soft365posted 2 years ago

What is the best, most accurate English sentence?

In the Password protection section, check the Enable password protection box and click the Settings button.

or

In the 'Password protection' section, check the 'Enable password protection' box and click the 'Settings' button.

or

In the "Password protection" section, check the "Enable password protection" box and click the "Settings" button.

or

In the Password protection section, check the Enable password protection box and click the Settings button.
    (with bold or italic)

Thanks

1. Kylyssa profile image94
      Kylyssaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I vote for the second sentence because it's the easiest to understand. I'd suggest making the words inside the single quotes match the letter case the actual buttons use for even greater clarity, if they don't match the buttons exactly already. Every little detail you can give people to help them match what they read to what they see while following your instructions helps them understand a little better.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image91
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I would break the sentence up by saying:

In the Password Protection section

1. check the Enable Password box and then
      2.  click the Settings button.

I would also capitalize the names of the various sections rather than using quotation marks.  This way the reader is perfectly clear about the directions.

2. Miranda Melgar profile image60
    Miranda Melgarposted 2 years ago

you know, anything may do . but it looks better with the second one and the fourth one smile

3. NateB11 profile image93
    NateB11posted 2 years ago

I like the second one; I guess because it's not too intrusive but is clear about what you mean. I guess using the quotes makes it clear you are talking about buttons, but I think it looks smoother than bold face or regular "-type quotes.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image81
    The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago

I would write it this way:
    In the Password Protection Section, check the Enable Password Protection Box and click the the "Settings" button.

1. Miranda Melgar profile image60
      Miranda Melgarposted 2 years ago in reply to this

haha that would make the reader confuse .

1. The Examiner-1 profile image81
        The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I do not think so.

5. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 2 years ago

In the Password Protection section, check the Enable Password Protection box, then click the Settings button.

6. soft365 profile image73
    soft365posted 2 years ago

Thanks. I will choose the second sentence.

working