Starting a Magazine

1. ThompsonPen profile image83
    ThompsonPenposted 7 months ago

I'm currently a college student (though I've been told I count as a "mature" student due to my age), and I'm starting a student-run, non-profit magazine to support local writers. We're wanting it to be quarterly, with 100-120 pages per issue. I'm trying to find a good place for printing which allows us to get as close to $10 an issue as possible. We know that we're going to need to sell advertising space, and area already drafting letters to local businesses that would be interested.
    Does anyone have any experience/suggestions regarding where to go for quality, cheep, glossy printing?

1. Paul Wingert profile image80
      Paul Wingertposted 6 months ago in reply to this

First thing you need to do is work on your spelling skills. It's "cheap" not "cheep". Good luck on your project and hope it works out.

2. calculus-geometry profile image84
    calculus-geometryposted 6 months ago

I thought they were called "non-traditional students" but anyway...have you thought about making lit mag online only at first, then doing a print run for special issues if the demand is there?  Lower overhead and a lot easier to sell online ad space.

I used to help with a friend's lit mag. They're real labors of love and rarely make enough money to cover the overhead let alone pay contributors, unless you start with some seed money from an arts grant or a donation from a wealthy local art patron.  Here's an example of an online lit mag that occasionally puts out print issues

I'm not affiliated with it and don't know the editors, it's simply a good example of a publication that mainly lives online and is well-regarded (some of its stories have been republished in prestigious anthologies).  Best of luck with your magazine however you decide to run it.