jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Have you, or anyone you know personally, ever published a book?

1. Luther Seed profile image76
    Luther Seedposted 14 months ago

I am interested in publishing a book of my original work. I have looked into some publishing company's, but am overwhelmed when trying to get serious about choosing a publisher and spending the $$$.
    If you personally have experience with this situation or have published a book your self, I would love to hear about your experience in doing so. How much money did you end up spending? Was it worth it? Did you make any money in return? Would you recommend your publisher to others? Are there effective cheaper publishers out there or company that will publish based off a % of your book sales.
    Really any insight that you have into personal experience with book publishing. I am very interested to hear how other independent writers experience was with publishing.
    I do not know anyone personally who has published a book so I'm reaching out on here. If you have any advice or anything to suggest or would want someone in my position to consider, please let me know!? I am extremely interested in your experience and opinion.
    Thanks
    -Luther Seed

1. psycheskinner profile image80
      psycheskinnerposted 14 months ago in reply to this

If you are going with a publisher the cost is zero.  If you are self-publishing the cost can be zero, but a better result often comes from spending a few hundred dollars.

I have done both.  Yes, I made money from every book. Not piles, but a useful amount. Books are not generic interchangeable widgets, so I would only recommend them if you were writing the kind of material that they specialize in.

All publishers of any merit are free.  If they want to charge you money: run.

1. Luther Seed profile image76
        Luther Seedposted 14 months ago in reply to this

Thank you for the response : ). Were you satisfied with self publishing? and was it a smooth process? Honestly I am not even sure how to go about self publishing my book.

1. psycheskinner profile image80
          psycheskinnerposted 14 months ago in reply to this

My selfpublishing started with books that had reached the end of their contract with a publisher.  So there was nothing to lose. Using kindle and createspace there was little cost. Not great profit but they went into the back quickly. If you want to self publish kindle ebooks on Amazon are a relatively easy place to start, the forums are helpful if you strike problems. Not easy money by any means, but also pretty low risk.

working