How do you use proper English?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (26 posts)
  1. herrypaul profile image48
    herrypaulposted 7 years ago

We Hubbers are imposed upon using proper English, though you are a non-native speaker. I sometimes find difficulties to use it - it's specially in writing an article. Perhaps you have the same experience with me. If you have, please share with me, how do you use proper English?

1. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Well, you can only "use" proper English if you speak or write in decent English. There's no magic formula to it. You're going to have to improve your English if you want to surpass the basic level required. You do have a few grammatical and/or word choice errors in this forum post as well. Maybe use Microsoft Word which underlines some kind of grammatical or word usage errors. And also use grammarly online it's free I guess. These won't result in the best in terms of language use, but it would help to some extent.

2. theraggededge profile image98
      theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Believe it or not, even English speakers have trouble with grammar occasionally. I'm British, but I have to submit work in 'American English'... and I don't always get it right. I use a program called Hemmingway to help me clean up my writing.

1. SheilaMilne profile image91
        SheilaMilneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You do? I stick to British English based on the fact that fewer than half, and sometimes as little as a quarter, of my readers are from the USA.

1. theraggededge profile image98

I write for American sites that require US English. On HP and my own site, I write British. Mostly big_smile I have to keep switching dictionaries in Scrivener.

2. profile image0
        promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Did you know that Americans created English?  smile

I suspect British readers don't mind U.S. English any more than U.S. readers mind British English. But I could be wrong.

Agreed, but my publishers want US English. That's just the way it is.

Oh yes, I forgot that we didn't speak English here until after we colonised the States big_smile

1. profile image0

LOL. Yep, I forgot about that part of history!

3. Sulabha profile image76
        Sulabhaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Dear theraggededge,
        I liked what you said and so  checked on Hemmingway. I have also signed up. They have said in their Terms & Policy that they won't use our content without our permission, but I still have some hesitation. I think that will go with time.
        In the mean time, I will try to improve my English.

I don't save anything in Hemingway, I copy and paste it back into my word processing program (Scrivener) after working on the improvements. It does mess up the formatting somewhat, but that's easily corrected.

1. Sulabha profile image76
            Sulabhaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

OK. I will ponder over it.
            Thank you.

3. herrypaul profile image48
      herrypaulposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You're right friends. In writing my Hubs, I use both British English and American English. I have trouble with grammar occasionally, or word choice errors. I want people( who read my hubs) to understand what I mean. It seems it's not easy to write what comes on my mind. wink

Hi, Hubbers! Thank you for your comments/ opinions. smile

2. Sue Adams profile image95
        Sue Adamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That entry is almost perfect except for:
        "it's not easy to write what comes on my mind." = incorrect.
        translated:
        it's not easy to write what's on my mind.
        Or...
        it's not easy to write what comes into my mind.

Thank you for the correction. smile

4. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

In order to use proper English, you first need to learn to speak it fluently.

I believe you said you have a degree in English literature - but studying English literature does not teach you how to speak and write modern English fluently.  You still have a lot of further study to do,judging by your current standard.

5. Sue Adams profile image95
      Sue Adamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Translation into proper English:

Hubbers are supposed to use proper English even if they are non-native speakers. I sometimes find it difficult, especially when writing an article. Perhaps you have the same experience. If so, please share with me how you manage to use proper English.

The only way to learn is to be corrected so the mistakes go away.

6. profile image0

Herrypaul, free online programs can help you with proper English grammar. Just do a search on "grammar editor".

7. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I start with a proper martini.

GA

2. ProBeatStudio profile image62
    ProBeatStudioposted 7 years ago

Honestly i think it depends entirely on what your writing about, if its British native, write that, if its global use more global English terminology

Took a look at your first hub. Very impressive, but HubPages won't let you promote your own site.

Deleted

Sorry, not yours - ProBeatStudio's.

If you look to the top right of the page here and click on 'Chronological', you can see who is replying to whom.

3. Glenis Rix profile image94
    Glenis Rixposted 7 years ago

I am English and attended what used to be known as a 'grammar school' for 6 years. We studied English Language as part of the curriculum - and my grammar is by no means perfect.The bottom line is that if you are not a native English speaker then it's unlikely that your grammar will ever be perfect. My advice is to get a text book - such as Improve Your Punctation and Grammar by Marion Field.  Or you could try writing your hubs using the Word application and then running a spelling and grammar check before posting them to your hubs.

4. profile image0
    johnmariowposted 7 years ago

I have the Yahoo Book titled 'The Yahoo Style Guide' which I don't use as often as I should.  It is an excellent book on proper English for publishing on the web.

5. Sulabha profile image76
    Sulabhaposted 7 years ago

Yahoo Style Guide... OK, I'll see it if it's free online.
    But last few days, I have come to know that finally Grammarly and Ginger, etc. can only help you to a certain extent and that finally, we have  to improve.
    Yet, another thing I've discovered is that in India we use more of British English. And there is quite a difference between US English and UK English.
    And so the fact is that I need to improve at both ends!

6. Cindy Kay Shun profile image60
    Cindy Kay Shunposted 7 years ago

good question! i try hard to write english, if you can understand me it good enough for huppages.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)