jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What Age Should You Start Writing a Novel?

1. GalaxyRat profile image63
    GalaxyRatposted 13 days ago

I am in my early teens, and I started writing at 7. Is that too early? When should someone start writing teen or mature fiction? I have written both, and both are spot on on their genre and audience. What do you think?

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 days ago

You are the right age to write your novel when you are old enough to be humble and realise what a difficult job writing is.

If you think your writing is "spot on", then you are perhaps not quite ready.

3. Glenis Rix profile image89
    Glenis Rixposted 13 days ago

I would encourage you to write as much as you can about subjects that you are familiar with.You are not old enough to have sufficient experience to write for an adult market. There are lots of competitions out there for young writers. Do a little research and if you believe that you have a chance then enter some of your work. I have a niece who entered several competitions via her school and had her work published in anthologies put together by the competition organisers. Finally, I never heard of a successful writer who wasn't also an avid reader. Good luck.

4. GalaxyRat profile image63
    GalaxyRatposted 11 days ago

Hi Glenis Rix,
    Thanks for the tips. My mother also thinks I can't write for the adult market yet, and I understand that. Still have to develop my knowledge for it, and I might write for that market when I am older. I have entered and won an online writing contest (The KidzSearch Annual Delethon). I am an avid reader, and most of my knowlgende and tactics on writing comes from that.
    I have read books such as Flowers for Algernon, and I enjoy those books overall. Again, thank you for the tips!

5. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 10 days ago

Just a warning to GalaxyRat - it looks as though you are under 18, which means you're not legally allowed to write on HubPages yet.   If a moderator notices this thread, they will probably close down your account.

There are many other places where you can write legally and I wish you luck with your writing.

GalaxyRatposted 10 days ago in reply to this

My mother manages my account and she is basically the owner of it. Thank you!

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 days ago in reply to this

Maybe so, but she is not the one who is writing here.

GalaxyRatposted 10 days ago in reply to this

She reviews everything I post. smile Thanks for the warnings though!

working