jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)

Getting it off your chest.

1. tiginban profile image59
    tiginbanposted 7 years ago

I know alot of us wish to write (and get paid a trillion dollars for it) but isn't there great value in writing just for the therapeutic effect it has on our lives?

1. hoodieweather profile image60
      hoodieweatherposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Of course. I'm not even writing for the money. I just want people to hear me out.

1. Wonder_Woman profile image60
        Wonder_Womanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

and what is it that you want people to know im curious?

2. wychic profile image79
      wychicposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I know writing is extremely therapeutic for me, but I do have the added bonus of getting paid for it. I ended up making my best therapy my livelihood, and my crafts and such for alternative therapies when I have writer's block. Sadly, I do have to try to guide my own therapy to the kinds of things that'll actually make some money or the bills don't get paid, but most of the time I can find something that's been bothering me to write about, or at very least I'm able to write to forget everything else.

3. thanglynn07 profile image60
      thanglynn07posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Am I the only one who's not getting paid to write? Lol I opt to not participate in AdSense...But I am reconsidering it though.

I write for the therapeutic effect and plus the passion I have for it. I love writing. It just flows like the notes to a song to help carry it's melody...My main focus is to be acknowledged as a well respectable author. Or poet I should say...

2. 0
    zampanoposted 7 years ago

I came here looking for revenue in the first place like a lot of other naïves.
    But unless my talent was worth spreading in words, I don't think I'd be payed much. And I'll not be this year's Pull it Zer...
    Just reading across forums, "meeting" people from across the oceans and vaguely thinking about publishing a second hub is good enough for me.
    The idea of expecting extra revenue, was vanished away by the pleasure that sometimes we take together just posting. Even rubbish.
    Therapy ? maybe.
    Anyway, I agree it can have an effect on our lives as you say.
    Often it a good effect.

3. dave272727 profile image61
    dave272727posted 7 years ago

It is very therapeutic.  I write a lot of my frustration out.  Works a lot better than punching people.

1. RNMSN profile image90
      RNMSNposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I salute you Dave!!! Does the same thing for me as well  smile
      or throwing things, which was my downfall in my younger years!!

4. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

Writing is very therapeutic for me - for me I need to write with a pen & on paper.  Typing does nothing for me smile

5. 0
    philip carey 61posted 7 years ago

I get paid to write during the day (technical writing). So this is more about being creative. At work, I'm bounded by the facts, with only limited room for creativity. But here, the page is wide open, and I think it's an opportunity to explore myself in the process of writing, especially the poems.  Sharing them on here is only useful in that it helps me finish thoughts that would otherwise remain incomplete.

6. Jackson Riddle profile image70
    Jackson Riddleposted 7 years ago

Sitting down and writing is so satisfying after you haven't written anything for a while. I was quite surprised at myself when I sat down and said "I am going to write something" and wrote 5,000 words of a play in one sitting. I have tried many times to recreate that night but have'nt been too successful.

1. RNMSN profile image90
      RNMSNposted 7 years ago in reply to this

thres an old story about a river, you dip your hand in it, drink of the water and can write music, stories, everything...often quoted along the lines of "if only I could be downriver to catch the dregs left by < insert your favorite authors name>  you were well upriver that night eh?

7. GoldiString profile image61
    GoldiStringposted 7 years ago

It's not about the money, hubscores, # of fans. It makes me happy to read nice comments for my work. Same feeling i hope to give to the reader.smile

8. 0
    Eva Hanssonposted 7 years ago

Completely agree.  I can work out problems through the very act of writing.  Not to mention, having a chsnce to vent is great fun, especially when there's humor involved.

9. 0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. So I write.

10. aware profile image72
    awareposted 7 years ago

i just wrote a hub it is along these lines. it wont make me a dime i think its kinda drivel but i wrote it cant say in order to feel better more to get words out of my head. and off my chest

11. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 7 years ago

I write to keep my mind off stressful things in life, especially unemployment. Yes I do want to get paid one day for my writing and my stories turned into books but since it is a long process I just write to write to keep my imagination alive and ideas flowing as well as to keep me from going completely insane in life.

1. azraelsbane profile image60
      azraelsbaneposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I think we are members of the same club. wink