jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Conn Iggulden - the Ghengis Khan novels

1. 60
    The Cardinalposted 7 years ago

As there are no other posts yet i thought i would make an attempt at kicking it off

If you are an avid reader can i suggest the ghengis Khan novels by Conn Iggulden. Based on fact but written in a storyline style i was completely enthralled and thoroughly enjoyed them.

What historical novels would you reccomend

1. LRobbins profile image80
      LRobbinsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I've never heard of ghengis Khan novels.  Can you briefly describe what they're about?  I would recommend The Red Scarf by Kate Furnival.  It's based on Russia and the heroine starts off in a labour camp.

2. 61
      bfmposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You can also take a look at "wolf totem "- it is life of nomad tribes in mongolia  (with close links to wolves )  before chinese hans came-historical fiction was written by a beijing student who spent his years there during cultural revolution

2. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 7 years ago

I have read all of his books so far, and I think he is awesome! have you read the julius cesar trilogy yet? brilliant. But my favorite favorite author is Diane Gabaldon. The story is about Jamie Fraser a scottish highlander in the year 1745, it is a time travel book, but don't let that put you off, it is the best ever. Nell

3. jenblacksheep profile image85
    jenblacksheepposted 7 years ago

The Julius Caesar trilogy was awesome. I really enjoyed them. My mum bought them because she met him and thought she should be polite (she has her copies signed too) and was pleasantly surprised that they were so good.

L.Robbins, I read one of the Kate Furnival books, I think it was called the Russian Concubine or something like that ... sounds the same as the one you're describing. Would they have changed the title in different countries or is it a different book? I know there was a sequel to the one I'm thinking of.