jump to last post 1-20 of 20 discussions (29 posts)

Any Tips for NaNoWrimo Success?

1. cteshome profile image60
    cteshomeposted 7 years ago

Hey guys, I'm looking for tips on success! As a first year contestant, I really am having a hard time keeping it together. I have a very detailed way of thinking and can't stop going back and checking for errors! LOL.

Anyway, post your tips on managing your time, strategies on developing your characters or plot, or just anything that works for you!

My first tip:

Definitely write more than 1700 words a day and try not to focus on the details. You can edit in details later!

2. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 7 years ago

I am doing my best to keep writing more than 1,000 words a day but it is hard when I get distracted lol

A good tip that everyone seems to do is outline the setting, yur characters, and your plot.  That doesn't work for me though.....I have a writing journal and a small notebook taht i write ideas as they come to me. Keeping a journal at home and a small notebook in your purse so if an idea hits while you are out is always a good idea.

And ct...this is my first time too. smile When you feel like everything is crashing down, just step back, take a deep breath, and then tackle it again.

3. 0
    lynnechandlerposted 7 years ago

I have a hub on NaNo preparation but not survival while doing nano.

I would take CW's advice and just take a break from it. Dance around the house, take a warm bath, get a little sleep and see what happens.

1. 0
      Crazdwriterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I haven't danced around the house yet hmmm ;lol:

4. Gemsong profile image85
    Gemsongposted 7 years ago

I don't know if this is a viable tip but hear are a couple things I do to keep me going. I give myself incentives to reach my daily goal. Also known as bribes. smile

1) If I'm having troule focusing I play a game. Since I love the forums so much I use them as a bribe. I have to write at least a sentence for each thread I read. If I want to post a reply I have to write at least a paragraph.

2) I set a prize for myself at the end of the month. There is an out of print book that I was able to find and buy. I can't read it until I hit 50k.

3) I don't use contractions. My characters sound funny but it does add to the word count. Two words instead of one.

4) write numbers as words. 1998 becomes one thousand nine hundred ninety eight. Six words instead of one.

5) Some people have to write events in order. When I find myself blocked I write a quick paragraph on what the scene should be and then move to something that interests me.

6) My friends love to IM me. That can break your flow easily. But very helpful in tough sections. For every message I have to write a sentence before responding.

7) When in doubt, kill someone. I just killed my former boss. I feel so much better now.

8) Detail anything. If someone is eating breakfast detail what they are eating, where they are eating and where it came from.

Okay so that was more than a couple tips. I tend to babble. I'm on year 6 of Nano and my first week is proving to be a little rough. smile

5. cteshome profile image60
    cteshomeposted 7 years ago

These are absolutely wonderful tips. "When in doubt, kill someone." That is awesome! I'm going to kill someone today, you're absolutely right. Can definitely move the plot forward!

Hey LC, why not make it easy for me and post a link. LOL.

Crazd, you're right, I have had to take a MAJOR step back. We'll see what happens.

Thanks guys.

6. Blogging Erika profile image72
    Blogging Erikaposted 7 years ago

I highly recommend Chris Baty's book, "No Plot? No Problem!"  It will be really helpful to you, even at this stage of the game!  (The month is long.  You will want the help!)

cteshomeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

SOUNDS like a good book! I'll see if I can grab a copy. You're right, the month is long. This weekend I have to just sit down and write it out. Thanks!

1. Gemsong profile image85
        Gemsongposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I bought Chris Baty's book a couple years ago. It is my bible. Highly recommended. I actually have him as a buddy on my profile. He aways has a slow start but kicks in at the end.

And remember:

"When you stop writing, a fairy dies."

LOL! Wow, I've never heard it quite put like that before. A fairy dies. Well, hopefully not because I've been writing ALL day.

7. Its Angel profile image60
    Its Angelposted 7 years ago

No plot no problem is a great book. It has helped me a lot.

8. 0

I love it Gemsong...I read through yours and was like yep yep yep I do that that and that lol i have a prize I want after I am done so I have to get my butt in gear lol

9. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

I have the book sitting on my coffee table, haven't opened it this year yet smile

I didn't do any writing at all last night, I had a stressful day. But...this weekend I will be in overdrive.

1. Gemsong profile image85
      Gemsongposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I'm rooting for you UW!

10. cindyvine profile image87
    cindyvineposted 7 years ago

I had a good Sunday, so I'm sitting on about 9800 words.  My hot tip, just write whatever comes into your head and sort it out later.  Set aside a time where you must not be disturbed so you can write.  And when you have no distractions make the most of it and write....write....write.  Once you get involved in your story, nothing will stop you!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That's what I'm doing smile

2. cteshome profile image60

You're right. I can't quite get involved for some reason. I feel kind of detached like I'm the third person. I dunno. I'll get my groove back eventually. Honestly, I think I edited the prologue so badly, I can't move forward without feeling like something is amiss. Maybe I should just start over!

Hey Gemsong, what happens to the fairies if you start over?

11. 0

Oh Gemsong don't say that..that is just cruel poor fairies.  I do believe in fairies I do I do I do!!

12. 0

Good job everyone...no writing for me today since I was on my feet all day my back is killing me so I couldn't concetrate and then this weekend friends are coming up so no writing...I'll be doing a lot of writing on Monday that is for sure. smile

13. Gemsong profile image85

If you start over a fairy is fed to a venus flytrap.

Just kidding. I collected some nano calendars to put on my desktop to motivate me to write every time I turn on the laptop. This is the one I have up currently. Note day 23. big_smile

http://www.nataliekirk.com/nanowrimo/Na … 24x768.jpg

14. 0

ew eaten by venus flytraps. lol you are so mean to the poor fairies Gemsong.

And I need to write in my writing planner that way I'll stay on track with my writing.

15. Gemsong profile image85

I am a cruel and evil person. No one likes me for good reason. I kick puppies and eat babies. Or was that eat puppies and kick babies. I can never remember so I do both.

This year for nano I decided to finish the book I started in last year's nanowrimo. The story is done. Now to start the sequal.

I am staring at a blank page. Kill me now.

1. 0

LMAO you are too funny Gemsong and hey look at that blank page and say yea no you aren't going to run me I am going to run you. So here are my words and you'll like 'em lol

16. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

I am just typing what comes into my head. It's probably crap but I don't care. Getting a first draft down will be good. I might be cheating but mine is very autobiographical.

1. 0

I'm with you...no idea if my stuff is any good but hey it's fun to write and to just get done lol

17. 0
    anonymous82posted 7 years ago

Wow...I just joined NaNoWriMo, and I'm already out of steam!  How do you do it?
    Gemsong:  Thanks for posting the tips!  They're very helpful.

18. 0

wow really sad first post and it's about stupid farmville on facebook? We're talking about something MORE important than a stupid game.

19. Gemsong profile image85

Games are evil. The siren lure of Wizard 101 calls to me now and away from writing.

20. 0

Don't listen Gemsong don't listen. Turn of the net like I said and you'll be just fine big_smile

working