jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

A History Lesson

1. Chad A Taylor profile image78
    Chad A Taylorposted 6 years ago

Share a little unknown fact about your favorite poet.  For example: Robert Frost had 40 honorary degrees in his lifetime and yet never graduated from college himself...

1. rebekahELLE profile image92
      rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

really... his poems are beautiful.

Ralph Waldo Emerson lost his father at the age of 8 and ended up living off contributions from his father's parishioners along with his 6 brothers and sisters; entered Harvard at the age of 14 and graduated at 18.

2. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 6 years ago

Emily Dickinson had a very esteemed friend who we know as Charles Wadsworth and her family entertained guest such as Ralph Waldo Emerson. smile

3. Chad A Taylor profile image78

Very interesting!

4. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 6 years ago

There have been more poems written about Nantucket than any similar sized town in the world.

5. manlypoetryman profile image69
    manlypoetrymanposted 6 years ago

Well...I did not know for years and years that "The Man from Snowy River"...which was a movie I really enjoyed...actually and originally came from a very famous poem...by the same name. And, was written by a famous Australian poet: "Banjo" Paterson. One of their coins...it might be an older coin...actually has the words to the poem inscribed into it to authenticate it. And in the movie...there is a character named, Mr. Paterson...and I think he introduced himself as "Banjo"...though I'd have to listen again...to be sure. "Clancy, of the Overflow" was a famous horseman in the region...and "Banjo" had used this character before in some other of his works...and the character that helps out Jim Craig in the brawl...in the bunkhouse...in the movie...is also a repeat character (can't remember his name off the top of my head)for "Banjo" Paterson.

6. Chad A Taylor profile image78

These insights are amazing, I had no idea Man from Snowy River was a poem; I am going to find that and read it!

7. 0
    Madame Xposted 6 years ago

George Sand (a woman) had a love affair with Chopin.