jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Recording children's audiobook, any advice??

1. tiginban profile image59
    tiginbanposted 6 years ago

I come from an oral storytelling background and have decided to create some children's audio books. The stories are lively, short and have have interesting characters who embark on adventures. Any advice on content or how to publish to audiobook?

2. tiginban profile image59

3. 0
    cosetteposted 6 years ago

I would imagine the procedures would be the same as they are for regular books, such as finding an agent and/or submitting to publishing houses who seek the type of book(s) you have written. since you come from an oral storytelling background, you can do your own voice artistry.

4. Elle Seidman profile image60
    Elle Seidmanposted 6 years ago

I would actually recommend against using "voices" for the characters. A lot of children's audio literature involves one narrator doing very distinct voices for each character, and it's frankly a bit distracting. As a visually impaird student who listens to tons of audio literature, I've recently gone back to a few old favorites in childrens lit, mostly just for the fun of recollection. The best ones are the ones in which the voice of the narrator is intriguing and clear (good diction is always key, of course!) but not so intriguing as to be distracting from the plot of the book.

I hope that's some help to you. Good luck with your project!

5. tiginban profile image59

Thanks ladies, yes it does help. I feel more positive now.

6. heart4theword profile image63
    heart4thewordposted 6 years ago

Seems like a fun project.  I believe Kids would love to hear other children's voices and laughter in your audio book:) Whether it is actual kids voices, or made up character voices! May You Be Blessed With GREAT Success:)

7. visitmaniac profile image60
    visitmaniacposted 6 years ago

You can even go the digital age now if you wanted. You can create a web site around your new product and sell it on CD to be shipped out. The cost to get designs done and create such a site would be about $150 and on top of that you can have a company print your cds for your for about $1.50 each and ship them out as orders come in.

8. livewithrichard profile image86
    livewithrichardposted 6 years ago

After you have a script together, I would locate a local music producer, someone with a sound studio, and cut a recording. You might even be able to work out a deal with the producer to help out with distribution.  Finding someone that is just starting out has just as much to gain from the work.

Put an ad in Craigslist, see what kind of offers you get.

9. Mouche profile image75
    Moucheposted 6 years ago

Interesting question... Currently I am turning my poems into audiofiles. First and foremost I would check whether the voice used on the audiotracks matches the characters.
    Secondly if I would make an audiobook for children I would ask some children (maybe your own, nieces, nephews, neighbourhood kids etc.) to listen to what you have recorded.
    Children are a pretty honest public. They will tell you when something is wrong.
    Only when they approve I would take the audiofiles to a publisher or a recordcompany to have them evaluated.

10. palmerlarryray profile image60
    palmerlarryrayposted 6 years ago

For recording audio, I really like Windows Media Encoder.  It allows you to save the file in a variety of formats so your recordings could be used by just about anyone.

As for the publishing, I would recommend creating your own website and offering the downloads from there using an online checkout like PayPal.  That way, you keep all of the profits for yourself instead of sharing them with a publishing house.